Does it matter which rotors?

russ_gillespie
russ_gillespie Posts: 165
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya,

I've bent my front formula rx rotor and the bike shop have true'd it as well as they can but say I may need to replace it. I haven't actually collected the bike and looked at it myself yet so this could all be pointless, but...

...If I was to replace it, do I have to get another (rather expensive) formula rx rotor? Or can I get a superstar flame, for example. I understand that different rotors will affect performance and pad life, but is there any other reason to stick with the same manufacturer, or even the same design?

Thanks,
Russ

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as the diameter is the same and the mounting to the wheel the same, it matters little what disc (I'm English, rotor is English (US) - to plagiarise form Microsoft) you use, some are better material, some will be lighter, you'll get more or less mud clearance 'holing' but they will all work just fine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Some disc brakes have wider pads than others, so as well as diameter and thickness also consider width when buying new.
  • It should be fine.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Of course it matters, you NEED Alligator Aries discs.....
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    no reall dif... the superstars are great value.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Formula pads are quite narrow, so you can get away with less braking track and less weight.

A disk you might be interested in is the new shimano XT floating rotor (got mine at CRC).

Far higher build quality that the other floating rotors, light and cheaper (than other floaters).

I use them with my Formula the One and am impressed.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • thanks chaps very helpful.

russ