Too young to bike to school?

jfw
jfw Posts: 41
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10516806.stm

Well 5 is pretty young, but surely the parents know the children? When we were kids a teacher came to have a word with my mum for letting us walk to school on our own (about 2 miles). It's all part of not letting kids out of your sight these days :cry:

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    It's a right of passage walking/riding to school on your own. My primary school in the late 60's insisted you had done cycle proficiency before you could ride, but I must have been 7 or 8 when I started walking on my own. This journalist promoted everyone is a child molester view really gets my goat.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    My boys are 7 and 4 and they ride to school a few days a week. But with me alongside, particularly when crossing a small road. I can imagine the eldest being old enough to ride on back roads next year but I wouldn't allow him to be responsible for the younger one.

I don't agree with the issue that they'll be abducted but just worry about them falling off or veering into the road or a car reversing out of a drive. That's 100 times more likely to happen than some nonce picking them up. OK, it could happen with me there but I'd be there and maybe able to do something/

The thing that makes me laugh is that these parents allow the kids to go on their own in the mornings but in the afternoon they either ride with them or get the nanny to pick them up. The nanny! That's 'real-life' for you!
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    And, of course, if they're unsupervised, there's no telling what they'll get up to!

http://www.pinkbike.com/v/147106
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • selena
    selena Posts: 3
    i think 5years old is okay for parents to teach their children how to bike, it just that the parents should be responsible enough to take care of their children while riding a bike..