4th Cat race Seaton Devon 03/07/10 - Possible easy points!

-corblimey-
-corblimey- Posts: 54
edited July 2010 in Amateur race
I'm organising a circuit race this coming Saturday on a closed road, seafront circuit down in Seaton, Devon. It's part of our cycle festival http://www.SeatonFestivalOfCycling.org.uk

For one reason and another it was late going into the calender and it's still not appeared in the BC listings and it's 4th cat only so it could be a great opportunity for points hungry 4th cats to pick up some points.

Details are here http://www.seatonfestivalofcycling.org.uk/events/35-racing/49-racing-for-all-sign-up

There's loads of other stuff going on over the weekend too including http://www.TheGreatTour.org so you could make a weekend of it.

Let me know if you're interested or want more detail.

Cheers

Comments

• robert-sb
    robert-sb Posts: 118
    Do you need a BC licence to enter this race ?
  • You can buy a day licence when you sign on if you don't currently hold a valid BC licence. That would cost an additional £10.
  • One other thing I forgot to mention is the field is limited to 30 riders... that means 1/3 of the field should get points.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    How many laps of the circuit will there be in the Cat 4 race?
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    You can buy a day licence when you sign on if you don't currently hold a valid BC licence. That would cost an additional £10.

Should a purchser of a Day License end up in the points, they do not receive them.
  • Mike, it's 30 mins + 3 laps

TT, I think you're rigt, day licence riders don't receive points.
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Mike, it's 30 mins + 3 laps

TT, I think you're rigt, day licence riders don't receive points.

I know i'm right.. otherwise i would not have said..
  • I wasn't disagreeing!
  • joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    no-one told me I wouldn't get my points... gutted... still was nice to win.

Cheers for organising the race!
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • It's no secret, TT already mentioned it above. I'm sure there's a reason why it's like that but I don't know what it is. Personally I think all there are too many combinations / permutations for licenses and membership and BC should simplify it.

Congratulations on the win, hope the prize money was compensation enough for not getting points. :)

Was that your first race?

It was the first time I'd organised a race and it went without a hiccup so I was well pleased. It was "proof of concept" and I think I'll expand it with youth and more cats next time.

What did you think of the circuit? I was chatting to one of our guys afterwards and he said the repeated acceleration out of the dead turn was hard work.

From a spectators view the circuit was great because you could always see the action. Often the trouble with town circuits is you only glimpse riders for a few seconds each lap so spectators don't get drawn into the excitement of the race.
  • joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    I didn't think to look on here first, my mother in law told me there was a race, so I thought I'd turn up and have a go. Never done one before and I thought it was grand, having the support just there was great too although my son was a little hoarse the day after...

Oh and the prize money did help no end and I've definitely got the bug to try another race somewhere soon, I'm just trying to work out the licence bit - it's ridiculously confusing, BC need to sort it out.

Still, look forward to defending my title next year!

Cheers
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    joew4ll wrote:
    Still, look forward to defending my title next year!

It's a good job you didn't get your licence then, as if you'd got your 10 points for winning, you'd be a 3rd cat now and not allowed to enter next year!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • That was a top effort for your first outing Joe!

If you're keen to get some points then the Tor 2000 series up at Ilton could be a good bet if you've got a finishing sprint in you. There's only a couple left this season so maybe it's something for next year. There's also Tuesday nights @ Ilton which is race development, worthwhile if you've not done much before since you learn how to ride in a pack, through and off, etc. I might go next week so if you fancy having a go pm me. You do need to be a member of an affiliated club to ride but I can sort that out for you if your interested.

You've also got the local Wednesday 10 tt at Daisymount which might be of interest, that must be all of about 10 mins from your front door.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Joe, great result for a first race. If you speak to BC when you take a full licence out and tell them you won a race on a provisional they may give you a 3rd cat licence. Just a thought - after all the point of the licences is to ensure that people are racing against those of a similar level.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    It was the first time I'd organised a race and it went without a hiccup so I was well pleased. It was "proof of concept" and I think I'll expand it with youth and more cats next time.

Was it a crit up and down the sea front?

Wouldn't mind a race enjoying some of the hills you have around there!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Yeap, the seafront is about the only bit of flat road round here.

Sounds like the Rodney Pyne Hill Climb www.svcc.org.uk might be what you're after! It's up Peak Hill in Sidmouth.