Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I've got a blooming annoying click on my CAAD9, it sounds like old springs in a seat or something, that sort of creaking noise, only when I put pressure down.

Sounds like it might be the BB? Can't be the seat as it only does it when I stand up.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    alextabrah wrote:
    Bike: 2008 Bianchi HoC 928 Carbon SL Ultegra. 19 m/o and 1800 miles.
    Noise: Somewhere between a plastic creak and metallic tick. The noise is irregular, and can vary between random tick/creak and "chattering".
    Happens when: I am in the saddle and peddling, but curiously only appears after 5 mins or so of riding.

Everything is tight, greased and GT85'd as appropriate. I've just had it in the bike shop who have changed the BB and confidently declared the problem solved - it isn't.

Any ideas? It's driving me NUTS!

Cheers.

Have you checked the tightness of the bottle cages? I has a similar problem on my bike once which turned out to be a loose bottle cage.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    freehub wrote:
    I've got a blooming annoying click on my CAAD9, it sounds like old springs in a seat or something, that sort of creaking noise, only when I put pressure down.

Sounds like it might be the BB? Can't be the seat as it only does it when I stand up.

I guess it doesn't really apply as you say it doesn't happen when you're seated, but I had an idenitcal noise that I could have sworn was coming from the front somewhere.

Was saddle rails :-)
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Exactly same as tomb8555---steady creaking sounded like b/b etc but turned out to be the saddle rails / seat post clamp ---sorted by dismantling seatpost, greasing and then all OK and silent

Another odd creaking on gear shifting souded as if from levers---turned out to be a dry cable dragging on cable guides under b/b but could have sworn it was from front of bike
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    freehub wrote:

Bring it to mine this evening if you want me to have a look at it?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Got a really annoying sound from the rear of my Kaffenbach. It sounds just like a half changed gear. you know when the chain hasn't shifted properly. Maybe a touch quieter and muffled. Not a constant sound as it comes and goes and gets louder. Can't find a pattern with the volume yet or the frequency.
    Doubt the indexing, cassette or chain as free wheeling doesn't stop it nor does pedaling backwards. funnily enough it happens with two different wheels. checked the cones as everything points to wheel not cassette etc. No probs there and both wheels have also been through LBS for a wheel true as I wanted them perfect and the chap there hasn't commented on the hubs. Whats left? All I can think of is the spokes bedding in. done about 15 miles on both wheels and it still there. Also nothing happens with the bike on a stand. My weight seems to do it. Well???? :?:
  • I have developed a clicking sound whist pedaling which is worse the harder I push. I have swapped pedals, checked the chainset bolts/bottom bracket for tightness all to no avail. Is it likely to be a bearing in the bottom bracket ? The parts are Campag Record and have done 5000 miles :(

Regards,
    Karl [8D]
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    tomb8555 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I guess it doesn't really apply as you say it doesn't happen when you're seated, but I had an idenitcal noise that I could have sworn was coming from the front somewhere.

Was saddle rails :-)

Freehub / tomb8555, have the same thing, although occurred after the winter terrible rain / snow. Wierd thing is if I really stamp on the power it disappears and only happens at regular speed.

Does yours get better when it 's dry for a week or so? Also have a feeling my BB needs a regrease, reseat.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    My bike has developed a creak in the BB. Push fit bearings on a HTII crankset. Can these bearings be removed and re-installed without any specific tools (other than HTII compression bolt tool?
  • hi just bought new 10 speed wheels but they come with laarge spacer whi i have fitted but the dilema is the shimano cassette also comes with a very thin shim spacer do i use them both ?
    i didnt use the fine sapcer shim but i get a clicking noice when i but any force through pedals ? and comments invited

tytherington
  • I have recently purchased a cube ltd race (last week)
    The bike has since developed an annoynig whistling / squeaking noise from the fron wheel when rolling or cycling slowly.

There is also a creaking noise when moving the bike about or sitting staionary coming from the front I can't tell exactly where but any help would be much appreciated
  • GrantTaylor
    GrantTaylor Posts: 17
    I was tearing my hair out recently trying to work out a creaking noise. After trying everything I traced it to the rear ceramic bearings in the rear wheel, re-grease and problem solved.
  • GrantTaylor
    GrantTaylor Posts: 17
    hi just bought new 10 speed wheels but they come with laarge spacer whi i have fitted but the dilema is the shimano cassette also comes with a very thin shim spacer do i use them both ?
    i didnt use the fine sapcer shim but i get a clicking noice when i but any force through pedals ? and comments invited

tytherington

With Mavics, use the one that came with the wheels only. Not wishing to tell you to suck eggs, but if you have put new wheels on it is likely that the gears will need some slight adjustment which should cure the clicking. It sounds like the 'indexing' is out.
  • kkramko
    kkramko Posts: 4
    Please help! If anyone have experience with problem named in subject.
    So, I bought a new road bike with all ultegra components, and I have problem when i drive on middle chain ring Its always produce some noise, ringing. it doesn't matter if I push hard or not, its happen on bought pedals, and never mind where is chain positioned on cassette. Like I said everything is new, 800km . As I look, I think that is possible that the chain pinning on pins who pulling chain on higher chain ring. Is there I cure??

Sorry on bad english, I'm from Croatia

TNX
  • wayne65hen
    wayne65hen Posts: 27
    I have an anoying creaking coming from what I believe is the forks (full carbon), this only occurs when riding out the saddle. I have replaced the fork bung, cleaned and cleaned again all parts, re-torqued all bolts time and again, following this it usually disappears for a couple of rides then reappears!

I have tried everytning (I think... but the skewers being too tight is something I haven't tried!!)

Ant suggestions? :?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Just a quickie to say I think I've found my creak.

I was stripping the frame to pass it to my LBS to face the BB shell (as I suspected that the creaking was coming from that area), I gird my loins to loosen the the right-hand cup (expecting it to be as tight as a Scot on the dole) and it turns out to be barely done up at all...

So the moral of the story is that, even if it often isn't coming from the bottom bracket, though it might sound like it is, sometimes when it sounds like it is, it is!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • My anoying "tick-tick" turned out to be pedals not tight and greased, could have sworn I tightened the buggers.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • biggayal
    biggayal Posts: 35
    I have a similar creak when riding out of the saddle but only on the left crank, followed the link, and i use look keo pedals, could be them as some people seem to think so, just checked my skewers, they were really tight so i've loosened them, at work at the moment so can't try it yet.
    What cranks are people using that creak, i'm using campag centaur carbon, i'm not convinced by this semi axle system, so at the moment this is my smoking gun
  • new wheels + old cassette, shifting is fine after a turn of the barrel adjuster, but i'm getting a lot of noise from either the derailleur or something else, something isnt happy and my usually stealthy silence has been compromised. any ideas ?

it's a sram OG1070 on hed jet9. also does that need a spacer ? it came with none but on my mavics it requires one, a shimano cassette two. would be greatful if someone could clarify the whole wheel/cassete/spacer thing as I'm a bit lost on all that.

it sounds like my rear derailleur (DA 7800) is about to explode, which i really dont like very much.

thanks.
  • JamesB
    Tip --check your QRs!!! :D
    Maybe already mentiones on this forum BUT :

after 20 miles riding, hills got steeper and suddenley a BB creaking; stopped, undid both QRs and retightened, all creaking gone :D:D

Moral creaks are`nt always where they sound from
  • yeah thanks for that, I checked the rear QR and figured it out for myself out on the road, problem solved .. i like problems which can be sortedwithout costing me any money :)
  • berrya
    berrya Posts: 23
    I have just bought a Cdale Six 105. The creaking coming from my headset is driving me insane! I have had a listen to the headset, and the creak is coming from the headset spacers I think (which are carbon). Would a carbon assembly paste help bond everything together and get rid of the creak?
    Has anyone else had this issue?
  • JamesB
    Not excatly but I sillenced creaking carbon bars by application of carbon grease so it`s worth a go; try also teh grease on teh stem / steerer tube contact areas
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You don't need to use fancy carbon grease - any grease will do the job.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Oh dear, this one sounds serious.

Noise like a bag of spanners, subtle yet very noticable "clicking" feeling on pedals when freewheeling or pedalling.

Grabbed the rear wheel by the rim and there is a click and a small amount wobble around the skewer (although that feels notched if that makes sense). There also appears to be about some play in the freewheel.

So my intial thoughts are either freewheel or hubs / bearings

Any thoughts?
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    The left hand lever on a set of Campag Chorus Egros has developed an annoying
    rattle. I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, did you have
    success in eliminating it.
  • Hi all, I am getting a clicking noise from one sprocket on my new cassette it's the middle sprocket where it jumps from 15 to 17 on my Ultegra 11-25 cassette, both the chain and cassette are new but no amount of indexing seems to get rid of this annoying click. Any ideas what the cause is?
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    Hey there,

whilst riding the Mcr - Blackpool ride yesterday i heard a clunking noise. I first heard it when applying the breaks quite hard. I then alos noticed it when i went over some rough ground and 'tram tracks'. Any ideas what things it could be? Im worried it could be a headset problem.

Thanks

Zoglug
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • Irri_Tant
    Irri_Tant Posts: 195
    just found this thread so I thought I'd post here from a thread I started on elsewere

hope you can help
    Irri_Tant wrote:
    Hard to describe but sounds like two spokes rubbing together were they touch. All spokes appear to feel the same tension by hand and to a ring when tapped.

Can be there when freewheeling or pedalling. Goes away if I stand up and pedal up a small incline.

Greased the pedal threads as heard the Boardman MTB pedal can cause a noise from that area.

Cycle shop says it may be the carbon forks but previous Team version with carbon forks didn’t do it.

Could it be the seat rails?

Checked al the nuts & bolts. Wheels & pedals are free and the chain clean.

Cleaned the headrace and fitted new ball races but not ridden as yet.
    Irri_Tant wrote:
    Irri_Tant wrote:

Cleaned the headrace and fitted new ball races but not ridden as yet.

OK, went around the block approx 1 mile without kiiting up apart from shoes. No noise. :D

Kiited up and did 31 miler and the thing groaned like an old biddy :x

Have now re-greased the seat post which was a little gritty so will report back.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    De Sisti wrote:
    The left hand lever on a set of Campag Chorus Egros has developed an annoying
    rattle. I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, did you have
    success in eliminating it.

Could be stickiness in the brake cable/caliper, on my shimano soras had similar and turned out to be a sticky rear caliper not releasing entirely (enough to clear the rim though) leaving the cable slack, which allowed the brake lever to rattle (spring in the brifter not strong enough to hold it solidly against it's stop. Apologies if campag kit works differently in this area.