grassington CRC marathon

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited July 2010 in XC and Enduro
Hi peeps,
How many went to Grassington today (4th July) and how did you do and which marathon did you do?
I did the 25km one in 2 hours and 40 mins, now I am soooo sore but chuffed to little mintballs :D
Caz xx

Comments

• Robowns
    Robowns Posts: 74
    We were gunna do the 50k but ended up doing a u-turn and going back and around the 25km as it was soaking. Even the 25km was a bit of a mission though, some of them hills were killer!
  • sparrowlegs78
    It bloomin threw it down didn't it :(....I was waiting for my hubby to pick me up for an hour and I was freezing and soaked lol
    Caz xx
  • I was waiting for my hubby to pick me up for an hour and I was freezing and soaked lol

That must have been miserable! The weather was character building at times wasn't it?

I was meant to be doing the full loop but the cluster**** at the bottom of Mastiles Lane and a puncture slowed us enough that we missed the cut off by a couple of minutes :x It was the first one I've done and wasn't sure where to put myself in the starting field. Lesson learnt though, I'll go further forward next time. Still enjoyed it all despite the weather - that just made it more fun, right?! :D
    It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
  • sparrowlegs78
    Indeedy lol....the weather made it fun, coming down the hill into Arncliffe was fun in the wet, I ended up with slicks on coz of all the sticky mud that stuck in my tyres lol...I'll be getting new tyres I think lol
    Caz xx
  • I was there and loved it, despite the awful weather. I was on the 50km marathon and it was great fun and really well organised. It was the first time I've done anything like this but I'm already sitting here contemplating the Selkirk middle marathon and wondering whether it would be a goer...

BTW, in case it wasn't obvious, I was the girl who asked if you were Sparrowlegs in the crush to get out.
    Small fat weak punter
  • sparrowlegs78
    I was there and loved it, despite the awful weather. I was on the 50km marathon and it was great fun and really well organised. It was the first time I've done anything like this but I'm already sitting here contemplating the Selkirk middle marathon and wondering whether it would be a goer...

BTW, in case it wasn't obvious, I was the girl who asked if you were Sparrowlegs in the crush to get out.

Hiya,
    I thought it was you, but didn't dare ask lol..I'm a bit shy lol.
    I'm having another go at the Ruthin stage...30km this time....it was a real good day out
    Caz xx
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I did the full lot, it was a bit damp. I thought it was good, the trails on the 100 were superb. Little bit too much road. IMO if you liked this the selkirk route is better. And it might not be quite so wet, it certainly can't be any wetter. Took 5 hours (6 minutes) so either I'm a lot fitter than last year or it was easier
  • sparrowlegs78

Ha, I realised as I wobbled off that I hadn't actually introduced myself, I'd just accosted you! Glad you enjoyed yourself and weren't put off from entering another! The Ruthin round looks good and you'll have to update me on here about how it was.

Jon8a

Good effort on getting round the full in 5hrs - that's how long it took me to do the half!! Cheers for the recommendation - have just signed up for the Selkirk 75km marathon so I hope it's as good as you say (and less wet than today!).
    Small fat weak punter
  • Robowns
    Robowns Posts: 74
    Jon8a wrote:
    I did the full lot, it was a bit damp. I thought it was good, the trails on the 100 were superb. Little bit too much road. IMO if you liked this the selkirk route is better. And it might not be quite so wet, it certainly can't be any wetter. Took 5 hours (6 minutes) so either I'm a lot fitter than last year or it was easier

Thats an achievement and a half i reckon. it was my first ever event, what i have learned is that i need to get riding up all of the steep hills near me repeatedly in preperation for another one.
  • hoddo80
    hoddo80 Posts: 11
    Wet was'nt the word!
    I did the 50k loop yesterday and all was good until the first feed station at approx 19k. We then started the second climb and just as we reached the top the heavens opened and did not stop until I crossed the finish line. No complaints though, throughly enjoyed my time in 'the dales' despite the rain and am now looking forward to the Ruthin round in September. (Selkirk is a bit far away for me! 8) )
  • did the 85km run took 6 hours 30 mins the extra 15km loop we did over the 70km was a killer and seem to take forever and had to carry bike up hill for a lot of it unrideable thought back end of course was great
  • Jon8a wrote:

jona did you manage to ride the second climb where we went on our own away from 70km turn road first climb but cant see how anyone could ride second near top was too rocky boggy and no route for bikes
  • bumpkin
    bumpkin Posts: 3
    I was down to do the 85km with two friends, one of whom legged it off ahead, and the two of us started to look at each other as we approached the split. We decided to take the 70km route instead given the weather, but i had no idea if this was the right decision. From what i read here i can feel slightly vilified because while filthy as it was it did make for zero grip on the grassy bits. There were some excellent fast bits which were easily controllable on the 70 route, but always had the feeling that we were missing out on the 85. Am sorry to hear you had to carry your bike some of the way especially downhill! we had a section of downhill on the road which i thought was a waste of climb. I thought the first and last thirds of the 70 course were excellent, and the bit in between was a bit boring. Enjoyed it all nevertheless. Roll on Ruthin.
  • sirhodes
    sirhodes Posts: 35
    I did the full distance but crashed on the third descent. It was the one after the climb where we had to do alot of walking and pushing. The wind once at the top was gale force and blowing the rain horizontally :o I faceplanted on the rocky section where the Caution sign was placed. Luckily my face was ok but both knees were bashed. It took the wind out of me and took me several minutes to get back on the bike. Thanks to all the riders who made sure I was ok especially the guy who helped pick me and my bike up. The marshal up there was excellent too. Before the horrible climb and crash on the descent I was enjoying it despite the weather. I made it to the 40km feed stop but my confidence was shot, I was soaking and my knees were aching so I decided to turn back. I was a very tough technical course, much tougher than Selkirk. One thing at Grassington, you had to make the decision whether you were going to do the full distance very early on in the ride

Today I have a stiff neck, sore knees and a sore finger joint (must have caught that too).
  • Jon8a wrote:
    Took 5 hours (6 minutes) so either I'm a lot fitter than last year or it was easier

I think the Dales generally lend themselves to fast riding, all that open rolling doubletrack lends itself to super-quick descents and (mostly) rideable, if long, climbs - the two on the big loop being notable exceptions. That said, 5 hours still sounds pretty quick, especially in the prevailing conditions. That headwind going over Darnbrook Fell was murder!

Looking forward to Selkirk :D
    It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
  • bumpkin
    bumpkin Posts: 3
    The weather was fairly awesome actually :D - I couldn't see on some of the descents because of the gale-force headwind and the rain in my eyes, which added an extra dimension of risk. I think this was one of the first times when i haven't fallen off during a ride, surprisingly.

Seeing your tag, stiffee_rider, reminds me of someone i was trying to keep up with in the last 15km or so - riding a 29er rigid single speed (orange On One frame, i think). Was quite impressed.
  • spanky855
    spanky855 Posts: 17
    WOW is all I can say about Grassington.

My first ever Marathon, I am use to riding 55k in the Peak District and signed up for the 50k at Grassington but changed my mind while signing on and went for the 85k!

A fantastic and amazing experience.

The course was tough and the weather made it tougher, I had a off on the second steep decent, over the handle bars, a bit of a footballers style roll and laded pretty much feet first in a ditch! The mud made the Panracers into slicks and the water on the limestone made it a grippy as ice!
    The extra 15k loop was a killer, tough climb then walk to the top and for me it was just too risky to try and ride the first section back down, 15k has never felt so long.
    My intention was just to try and finish, finish safely and to have thoroughly enjoyed it.
    7 hours later my good friend and I made it to the finish registering about 6 1/2 hours solid riding but wow what a feeling, cant make Selkirk "but bring it on Ruthin"
    Is this Marathon riding addictive by any chance ?
  • sparrowlegs78
    The times are up, I finished at 13.06...I think I'm addicted lol.
    About what time did we head off after the delay?..It wasn't the posted 10:00 start I know that.
    Caz xx
  • hoddo80
    Hi

I think it was approx 10.10am when we were allowed to eventually start. I was so glad, I was freezing, I was soon warm half way up the first climb though! :)
  • sparrowlegs78
    Cool, ta, I can now work out how slow I really was lol.....epically considering the first rider back off the 25 km was back in just over an hour! ...kudos to that rider :D
    Caz xx
  • sirhodes wrote:
    I did the full distance but crashed on the third descent. It was the one after the climb where we had to do alot of walking and pushing. The wind once at the top was gale force and blowing the rain horizontally :o I faceplanted on the rocky section where the Caution sign was placed. Luckily my face was ok but both knees were bashed. It took the wind out of me and took me several minutes to get back on the bike. Thanks to all the riders who made sure I was ok especially the guy who helped pick me and my bike up. The marshal up there was excellent too. Before the horrible climb and crash on the descent I was enjoying it despite the weather. I made it to the 40km feed stop but my confidence was shot, I was soaking and my knees were aching so I decided to turn back. I was a very tough technical course, much tougher than Selkirk. One thing at Grassington, you had to make the decision whether you were going to do the full distance very early on in the ride

Today I have a stiff neck, sore knees and a sore finger joint (must have caught that too).
    the downhill with the caution sign i tried my best to ride it all but caught people up who where walking down and one didnt get out off way probably didnt hear me for rain so lost momentum and walked for a bit but looking at the bits i walked on probably would have come off so blessing in disguise

the d
  • bumpkin wrote:
    I was down to do the 85km with two friends, one of whom legged it off ahead, and the two of us started to look at each other as we approached the split. We decided to take the 70km route instead given the weather, but i had no idea if this was the right decision. From what i read here i can feel slightly vilified because while filthy as it was it did make for zero grip on the grassy bits. There were some excellent fast bits which were easily controllable on the 70 route, but always had the feeling that we were missing out on the 85. Am sorry to hear you had to carry your bike some of the way especially downhill! we had a section of downhill on the road which i thought was a waste of climb. I thought the first and last thirds of the 70 course were excellent, and the bit in between was a bit boring. Enjoyed it all nevertheless. Roll on Ruthin.
    except teh 15km extra bit where you turned left by station we went straight on we rode the same i thought as you first part up to arncliffe and last third some good off rode riding and the last 10km was a blessing six hours into ride
  • spanky855
    hoddo80 wrote:
    Hi

I think it was approx 10.10am when we were allowed to eventually start. I was so glad, I was freezing, I was soon warm half way up the first climb though! :)

Yes it was about 10.10am I think we actually went through the gate at around 10.17am because we started near the back, first event and all that .

I got very hot and was contemplating taking of my jacket, then at the top of the first climb I saw the weather coming in and kept it on !
  • hoddo80
    Cool, ta, I can now work out how slow I really was lol.....epically considering the first rider back off the 25 km was back in just over an hour! ...kudos to that rider :D
    Caz xx

No probs, I am sure you were not as slow as you think!
    This was only my second event, the first was Builth in May (really hot that day) and both times I did the 50km route, I managed to knock 45 mins of my previous best time but though I was slower this time round, I was suprised!
  • hoddo80
    spanky855 wrote:
    hoddo80 wrote:
    Hi

Yes it was about 10.10am I think we actually went through the gate at around 10.17am because we started near the back, first event and all that .

I got very hot and was contemplating taking of my jacket, then at the top of the first climb I saw the weather coming in and kept it on !

I was the other way around, started off cold, then got hot, then got wet and decided to stay wet! I was glad of the hot pork bap and cuppa when I got to the finish!
  • sparrowlegs78
    I got well and truely soaked too lol....kept me cool though as I do get really hot, trouble was I was freeeeezing when I had finished, even the hot choccie I had while waiting for the hubby to pick me up didn't warm me up.
    I'll deffo not get to wet again if it rains at Ruthin....once bitten and all that.
    P.S piccies are up on Muddybum.co.uk :D
    Caz xx
  • hoddo80
    I got well and truely soaked too lol....kept me cool though as I do get really hot, trouble was I was freeeeezing when I had finished, even the hot choccie I had while waiting for the hubby to pick me up didn't warm me up.
    I'll deffo not get to wet again if it rains at Ruthin....once bitten and all that.
    P.S piccies are up on Muddybum.co.uk :D
    Caz xx

Its bound to rain at Ruthin, after all it is Wales (not picking on wales or the welsh, but everytime I cross the border it seems to rain)
    Any how I am looking forward to it! :)
  • sparrowlegs78
    Here's me, slipping my way down the gravelly bit into Arncliffe
    grassingtonpro.jpg
    Caz xx
  • spanky855
    Here's me, slipping my way down the gravelly bit into Arncliffe
    grassingtonpro.jpg
    Caz xx

Hi Caz, looking very good, its a great picture, I ended up buying three because they all looked good and it was my first Marathon so for the memories etc, my next one is Ruthin , I have been banned from doing the Selkirk one because soon after I am doing the John o Groats to Lands ends road ride for charity and after seeing the injuries I picked up from Grassington the teams worried about me getting hurt !! or I would be at Selkirk.

Lee