single speed

gazeddy
gazeddy Posts: 305
edited July 2010 in MTB general
does anybody run single speed with more than one ring at the rear as in like two speed. atm im running a shimano 9 speed cassette with a modified deore mech to keep tension but was thinking anbout replacing the 9 cassette with say two or three bmx sprockets and putting a five speed mech on it and modify it so it keeps tension and change gear with the h/l screws. i want to be able to ride to the jumps then hammer it around the jumps for a bit then ride back more leisurely
I rode what you dug last summer

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The chain may not change between the sprockets correctly.

Better would be to modify a cassette and use spacers.
  • gazeddy
    after typing it i decided probly not the best idea probly fittign a roady cassette and mech with shifter. will a deore shifter work with roadie gear?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, as long as the cassette matches the shifter for speeds. And of course your mech must be compatible with the shifter. A road mech would be better for a narrow range cassette.
  • gazeddy
    meant to put that but ive got a deore shifter sat doing nothing so id like to reuse it if it comes to it ill respace the cassette to match
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    just stick a cassette on there.
    Road cassettes work fine with MTB shifters, it's very common in downhill racing.
    If you're using a single front chainring, you don't need a long cage rear mech, but you might need some sort of chainguide to keep the chain on the front ring.
  • gazeddy
    not had a problem up front but my ghetto tensioner/deore mech keeps shifting on its own. its not the cable frame flex issue. because atm there isnt a shifter or cable on there lol its down to adjustment and its starting to knacker me riding