Is my frame broken? pls confirm....

jjm0852
jjm0852 Posts: 16
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I had a big off a few weeks ago, after getting a new wheel rim and pedals I thought my bike was good to go..... and I did a couple of cycles in swinley forest, but this morning i took my rear wheel off to change tyres and noticed my wheel wouldn't go back in properly - I had to push the rear triangle together so the wheel would sit in the slots. the dent is quite significant and i think it has bent that side of chainstay. Let me know though if you think this is somehow salvagable.
I fear it is done for though - anyone know if i can buy a relacement rear triangle for this frame - kona four

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26088498@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26088498@N ... otostream/

thanks
James[/img]

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would say it is game over for that rear triangle.

Try your kona dealer, or contact Paligap for a new one.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    It's knackered

Contact your local Kona dealer for a replacement part
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • jjm0852
    thanks guys, I thought so :-(

So do you think I can get just the rear triangle or will it be the whole frame I have to replace!

I guess as its a two year old bike and non current, i'll be lukcy to get hold of a replacement?

Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    from the photos, if that's the only damage, it looks like just a new swingarm will do.
  • p1rid4r
    p1rid4r Posts: 7
    try eBay
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Do you know what caused it, if that can happen in Swinley then I need to be more careful with mine. You can still get the whole bike from Pauls Cycles so maybe you could work something out with them.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • jjm0852
    thanks guys, appreciate your input.

i didnt do that at swinley actually - but it could happen anywhere to be honest. I was doing just over 30mph on a tight downhill section on winter hill near maidenhead when it all went wrong, and at that speed damage is inevitable - to both rider and bike. I was totally battered after, couldnt move properly for days and days - my shoulders and chest felt like they were gonna collapse!! My front wheel was in a figure of eight, my pedal bent, crank arm bent and chainstay dented - as you can see!

It took weeks/months to recover and the bill is gonna be around £350 minimum :shock:

must be more careful next time :roll:
  • jjm0852
    thel33ter - sorry just noticed you have the same scandium frame as me, and yes they do damage easily from impacts, but have good torsional strength when used as they are supposed to be, but do bear in mind they dent on bangs & scratch easliy