Rock Shox Reba SL Forks, any good?

Twed90
Twed90 Posts: 7
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
I just purchased the Boardman Team MTB and it has Reba SL forks on it, I was just wondering if I should keep them on are upgrade to FOX forks. What are the good points on the Reba?

Thanks

Comments

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Nothing wrong with the Rebas as long as you aren't hucking of 6 ft drops lol....I have Rebas on my Merlin and I can't fault them...they are light and responsive.
    Caz xx
  • I have the race version and i am very satisfied (took me a few rides to get the right set up), my only gripe is i perhaps should have bought the team version for blackbox damping but for the type of riding on your boardman, rebas will serve you well...spend money elsewhere upgrading :)
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Are you having problems with the Reba,s are you sure you have them set up correctly and what type of riding are you doing if they are not working for you.

If you have just purchased the bike and need to upgrade already I would say you have purchased the wrong bike.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I don't think he's ridden it yet
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If you're going to upgrade anything, go for the wheels. The Rebas are very good.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    The Fox "equivalent" to the REBA will only be more expensive but not a fonctionnal upgrade.
    They happen to be a very nice highlight on the Boardman's spec.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Maybe you should have just bought a bike with FOX forks in the first place. :?

Why do you want to upgrade them, what is it about them you don't like?

My guess is you don't know!
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The Reba is a stunning fork and considered by some to be much better than the entry level fox.

Really nice fork, so smooth and plush.

Only fork that made me envious when I had an £850 fork on my bike, thankfully the Dorado fixed that envy =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • ricardo666
    ricardo666 Posts: 132
    nowt wrong with reba's. awesome forks, spares are available for a yealy service.

I just ran the first one into the ground and now on my newish 2009 ones. And thats mosty round the local woods, rivington, moel famau and red and blue runs at llandegla

Just playing round with the pos and neg air pressures makes a hell of a difference.

I would say whats some of the other s have said, if you need to upgrade the forks already then yourve bought the wrong bike
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I love threads like these, why do people buy a bike and then insist on instantly upgrading parts before its even been ridden.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    If you've got the cash to buy a pair of Fox forks then why not get a better spec'd bike to start with?
    Not sure where this assumption that Fox forks are better than RS comes from - Rebas and Revelations are some of the best trail forks on the market. They're a doddle to service, reliable and work a treat.
  • Urgh... why does everyone thing fox forks are an upgrade over RS?

Reba SL - Dual air, Motion Control, External rebound, low speed compression to 'Lock' with internal Floodgate and weigh around 3.8lb.

You won't get any better from fox... similar maybe. And you don't need to service RS as much, and you dont have to send them away for a service.

That and the fact that you haven't even ridden them.

/rant.

Sorry, but WTF!! :lol::lol:
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    I've not had any experience with Fox forks, but I have wondered why everyone craves them above all other options.

Fox do price their products at the upper end of the market, whereas RS cater for everyones pocket.

I looked up Recons on youtube once, and found a couple of videos of ppl showing theirs off. There was a post on there saying something along the lines of Talas are much better.
    While this maybe true, you have to consider one thing at least...
    Talas = 600 quid... Recons = 300 quid.

But surely a £500 quid RS fork is equivalent to a £500 Fox fork?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    pte1643 wrote:
    Fox do price their products at the upper end of the market,

You just said it if Fox cut there price they would sell fewer forks.

I have used both and for the same price Rockshox just seem to work with no fuss you just set the sag fiddle with the damping a click or 2 and thats it they just fade away till you dont notice them anymore.

Fox always seemed to need tweaking I was constantly fiddleing with the damping trying different air pressures. I have to say though I reckon Fox rear shocks are the opposite you set the sag and damping and thats it Rockshox shocks seem to need loads of tweaking.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Briggo
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Urgh... why does everyone thing fox forks are an upgrade over RS?

Because they're far more known than RS's.

Media wins again.
  • Really? I'd say it was the other way round.... I don't even know the different types of forks in the fox range!

And you see more RS on mainstream bikes too...
  • Briggo
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Really? I'd say it was the other way round.... I don't even know the different types of forks in the fox range!

Take a look at the recent WMB, see how many times a fox fork shows in a pic compared to RS. ;)
  • Splatter
    Splatter Posts: 41
    I've had Fox Forx on previous bikes and they are a lovely plush, smooth ride. Having said that, my present bike had an 80mm Reba SL fork and it's just as good as any previous Fox. It's a bit like comparing Audi to Skoda - you know they are now much more equally reliant, etc., etc., but it's the perceived reaction you get from owning an Audi ( Fox Fork? ) to a Skoda ( RockShox?? ).
    The artist formerly known as "HALO"
    What Mountain Bike Forum - R.I.P.
    Trailspirit mtb web - R.I.P.
    mtbuk.co.uk & Bike Weasel - R.I.P.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Briggo wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Really? I'd say it was the other way round.... I don't even know the different types of forks in the fox range!

Take a look at the recent WMB, see how many times a fox fork shows in a pic compared to RS. ;)

Take a look at recent WMBs and see how many times a Fox advert appears compared to a Rockshox advert :wink:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Briggo
    Stubs...

Recent WMB, 1 Fox advert versus 0 Rockshox. ;)