SRAM XX groupset

zaidshaari
zaidshaari Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Any advise as I plan to upgrade to SRAM XX groupset.

I am currently riding 2008 Specialsed Stumpjumper FSR Comp and wondring if the groupset will fit nicely on my bike.

Feedback is very much welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    As I said on your other thread:

Yes, it will.

Unless the bike is absolutely tricked out though, I wouldn't bother. It's a good groupset, but to be honest it's not twice as good as XTR, and the prices of some bits when buying aftermarket is hard to swallow!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    ^ This.

The cassette is stupid money.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • njee20
    Indeed it is, I can't see many being sold once the X.0 one appears, that's still lighter than XTR.

My XX one is wearing just as quickly as anything else too. My jockey wheels are ripe for the bin after one (admittedly very) wet race, that'll be £110 please! Just a bit crazy really!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The group will cost more than the bike did
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    ^ This x2
    It is a great set up, very slick changes on and off the power, I find I'll use far fewer changes and when i do change its far more intuitive i.e. lot less over lap on gears ect. It realy is a step forward imo BUT its is so costly ! I was lucky that i specd it from new on my Superfly and my lbs gave me retail back on the oe group set and nearly gave me trade on the xx stuff to get the sale on the bike, if it wasn't for that i wouldn't have gone with it but i'm soooo glad i did :)
  • njee20
    Just the brakes/chainset/cassette/rear mech will cost more than the bike did!
  • On the choice of brake why not go for some Formula R1's which are cheaper, lighter and seem to get higher scores in reviews. I have the R1's and they are amazing but I cannot compare them to the XX but as stated before they seem to do better in all of the reviews.

If you felt like you had to spend the same amount of money then you can get some rather tasty carbon lever blades for them. Yummy!
  • njee20
    The XX brakes are really nice actually, I'd far sooner have them over Formulas, but they are expensive, and whether they're worth the extra over (say) Elixir CRs is something else.
    It is a great set up, very slick changes on and off the power, I find I'll use far fewer changes and when i do change its far more intuitive i.e. lot less over lap on gears ect. It realy is a step forward imo BUT its is so costly

But it's not really! I ran a 28/40 last season with 11-34 cassette, XX is virtually identical with a 28/42 and 11-36, I like that they're making double chainsets more feasible, but it's just not that much of a revelation IMO.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I would wait for the forthcoming X9 10-speed, or X0, which will be more in keeping with the bike in question. XX on a mass produced chassis does not make much sense.
    Sounds a bit like a Lancia Thema 8.32, for those who remember it.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    what was wrong with the 8.32?

Apart from the fact it wasn't that fast, the weight at the front borked the handling, the cooling was a nightmare, service costs were mental and they rusted like a tin can?
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    New tyres every 6 miles.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    And so much torque steer you didnt need to move the steering to over take :shock:
    Scared the crap outa me when i road tested one once ! Not as much as it scared crap out of the owner that was sat next to me mind :twisted: