Can you recommend any baggies that DON'T ride up?

gb2gw
gb2gw Posts: 81
edited August 2010 in Women
Or does that just go with the territory of baggies? Both 3/4 lengths and shorts (Endura Singletrack baggy shorts is my latest purchase that I'm finding also does this)

Last year when I weighed about two and a bit stone more than I do now, I don't remember ever having a problem with the material riding up and gathering in an uncomfortable wrunkled bunch in the crotch area, but I'm wondering if that might have been because the fit was more snug over my sausage thighs, and now they've reduced in size the fit is less snug (can't afford to go down a size or else won't fit over my bum/hips!)

Do you just have to keep stopping and pulling them down again, whatever make they are?

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    gb2gw wrote:
    Do you just have to keep stopping and pulling them down again, whatever make they are?

Yes :wink:

I haven't managed to find the answer yet! I have the 3/4 singletrack shorts and I find that waist is really high.... You either have the crotch around your knees or hoist them up and look like Simon Cowell (or maybe I am just short!) :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Endura sizings are way off (in the gents sizes anyways!)

The problem is that most biks shops that acutually sell riding clothes don't stock anything other than endura/altura.

I have a pair of Sombrio riding shorts that have been the best pair i've tried yet but would also like to try some dakine shorts as i've only ever heard good things!
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Ben my little chucklebutty, what are you doing in the ladies bit?...where you looking for advice in waxing perhaps? Mmmmkay ;):lol:
    Caz xx
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Ah, the joys of shorts – I’m also in search of the perfect 3/4 length shorts. I am generous of thigh and rear, but comparatively small of waist. I’ve got some ladies Endura Humvees and Altura Synchro, but they’re rather slim fitting in the leg department (especially the Humvees), more like capri trousers – I can just about wear my Kyle Straits under the Altura ones, no chance with the Humvees though. However I’d be loathe to go a size up because they’re both loose around the waist – I don’t want to have loads of bunched up material. :/
  • gb2gw
    How tall are you Sarah just out of interest?

I find a lot of them are really simon-cowell-like too but I guess they're made like that to alleviate cold, draughty back syndrome if you want to wear them in slightly cooler weather too.

I also have a comparatively small waist to my hips and bum, Mrs Toast, and I can't say I've found any little adjusty straps in the waist area to be of any use at all. Like you say, they just bunch up the material and look awful.

I quite like the fit of the Endura singletrack shorts on the leg, but they're so unflattering round the waist - there's a really weird baggy bit at the back I can't quite understand the point of. At first I thought I'd bought too big a size (I'd bought a medium) but I went into Evans cycles the other week and tried on the small and could barely get it up over my @rse!

I find bike-clothing buying so frustrating at times anyway. Like you say Bob, bike shops only seem to stock Altura and Endura stuff (and usually with one teeny tiny changing room with an ill-fitting gaping curtain!) and while online shops have a better selection, the whole process of ordering umpteen brands and sizes and then paying to return half of them again is a real pain. Not to mention the cost of buying it all in the first place and then having to wait weeks to get the money refunded to your credit card (always a race to get that process turned around before the credit card company ask for payment!)

Ooh hark at me. Having a little rant-ette on a stuffy Friday afternoon stuck in a hot office!

Thanks for the replies anyway girls (and guy). Guess I just stick with the bunched-up-crotch scenario I have at the moment or ditch the baggies and 'bare all' with lycra (hubby would so love me to!).
  • spingle
    spingle Posts: 35
    Hello,
    I usually wear sombrio shorts and the are great. Really comfortable and stretch in the right places. They have a side zip which I did think was a bit weird at first but actually makes sense. I also have a pair of scott shirts which are good too alhhough a little shorter than I would really like.
    I am seriously coveting a pair of loekea ones from mind which are purple cord. Wouldn't care if they were comfortable or not but they really expensive.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Gore or Mavic, my partner swears by them.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • TBH I don't really get the point of baggies, all that messing around with layers and inner shorts, sizing problems and shorts getting caught on your saddle - why not just wear padded lycra? It fits well, dries really quickly, is much easier to size and seems generally to be much more practical. Is it just a MTB thing? I hardly ever see anyone out in the Dales/Lakes or at trail centres with anything other than baggies yet all the fast guys today at the Grassington MTB Marathon were in lycra...
    Small fat weak punter
  • gb2gw
    Are you my husband climbingpixie?! :lol:

He can't stand to wear baggies for the very reasons you've given, and is pretty much the only one of our group that just wears lycra. Although the practical side of my mind agrees, most of our rides involve a cake/tea stop and I'd feel a bit self-conscious with a shiny-lycra-clad bum on show :oops:

Although I have to say I tried wearing my Endura singletrack shorts out on our ride in the Peaks yesterday (21km Bradwell circuit and by eck was it blowing a gale up the top of them thar hills) and I wore them over the little Craft boxer short thingies from Wiggle, and they didn't seem to ride up as much. Am thinking maybe the material of the Singletrack shorts works better with bare flesh beneath, rather than longer lycra.
  • gb2gw wrote:
    Are you my husband climbingpixie?! :lol:

Ha ha, I'm not your husband but I do agree with him! I've always been pretty happy to separate aesthetics and practicality when I'm doing sport - I'll wear a baggy gi with sewn in crotch panels for ju jitsu, harness, shiny helmet and several kilos of ironmongery for climbing, salopettes and a buffalo jacket (with a crotch strap ffs) on the hills in winter and believe me, you don't want to see my caving kit (think shiny yellow PVC...). So padded lycra doesn't really bother me too much. And if I'm out and about in my lycra and end up in a tea shop I tend to think the presence of my bike absolves me of any crimes against fashion I might be committing!! :lol:

It's fair enough if people are self-conscious but it seems daft to eschew the comfort and practicality of lycra because of a paranoia about people looking at your arse. But hey, I'm looking at road bikes as we speak so I'm clearly a deviant! :D
    Small fat weak punter
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    For me it's because I've self conscious, I loathe my legs (well, the look of them, not the functionality...although that too sometimes! :lol: ) so I don't like anything shorter than 3/4 length or tight fitting. I'd still be wearing my cycling leggings under my 3/4s if it wasn't so bloody warm!
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I wear lycra shorts under 3/4 length trousers.....coz my legs just look wrong on show in lycra lol..think shrink wrapped pencils and your on the right thought path :lol:
    Caz xx
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    try wearing lycra under baggies. the lycra will absorb the sweat which will mean any sweaty claminess that would make baggies ride up isn't there, just smooth lycra. I've always done this and have no problems with shorts riding up.

I do have a pair of altura short with integrated liner that i bought when i first started mountain biking. The liner is nowhere near as good as proper lycra shorts so i ended up cutting out the liner and just wearing over lycra, they're perfect now.
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hi there,

I have some altura baggies over the lycra padded inner that came with them and they are spot on, don't ride up at all anyway. Also have a lovely pair of lightwight Scott baggies for summer which again I wear over the altura padded liner. All seems to work very well (if not hugely flattering)!

As to wearing only lycra padded shorts, god, my legs get battered, bruised and scratched by undergrowth and 'offs' enough as it is, so without my lovely comfy baggies over the top giving that bit more protection I'd never wear a skirt again!

I have to say the search for the perfect short in terms of comfort, practicality and flattering cut has become like the search for the holy grail... Why oh why do bike shops stock such a pathetically small range of women's kit??? Uh oh, I feel a rant coming on!!

Good luck anyway.

Kathg
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    gb2gw wrote:
    How tall are you Sarah just out of interest?

I'm only 5ft 4 :oops:

Tried the Endura baggies on again this weekend and not only do they sit REALLY high but they make my bum look massive - which isn't a look that i'm keen to develop! Having said that, they are really comfy and very hardwearing!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • smallred
    smallred Posts: 73
    old thread, but I thought I'd chip in!

My fav pair of baggies are from IXS, they fit me perfectly (5'5", big hips/bum/thighs!) . Dead light material, quick drying, very nice liner, nice features - goggle wipe, zipped thigh vents. I absolutely love them.

I've got some camo shorts from Harlot too, but they're too big for me now and were always a bit generous in the thigh/hip area anyway. And waist. OK, they were just sized quite big all over!! Heavy material. I'd only rate them for wearing in town rather than doing DH or XC to be honest, too sweaty.

I've got a pair of Endura Singletracks but they're a bit slim on the thigh, but other than that I think they fit OK, they don't get caught in the saddle when down behind it.

I tried on Humvees before in 2 sizes and found them a really weird shape, and very unflattering! They stayed in the shop :)

For around town I have Sombrio 3/4 length and shorts and they're all a good fit too, dead flattering. Oh and also some Madison 3/4 light things that I've worn on the trails a couple of times.

I'll be back with links to the actual stuff, can't remember the names of them. There are more lurking in the wardrobe too, I'll pull them out - they're obviously not ones that have fallen out of favour!
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Lisa HT
    Specialized Tricross Triple
  • smallred
    hey d'you guys know about Minx and Girls Ride Too? Online retailers for womens-only bike stuff :)

Forgot to mention Sugoi - they do nicely fitting stuff for us too :)
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Lisa HT
  • smallred
    hey d'you guys know about Minx and Girls Ride Too? Online retailers for womens-only bike stuff :)

Forgot to mention Sugoi - they do nicely fitting stuff for us too :)
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Lisa HT
  • Hello (I've been lurking, lol) I know about Minx, but haven't discovered Girls Ride Too. I willl give that one a google. Thanks :)
  • gb2gw
    hey smallred

Thanks for chipping in :)

Always interesting to know what other girls are wearing and how they find different brands/styles fit.

I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from Minx before (when I can afford it!) and a couple of bits from Girls Run Too (is that the one you mean or is there another separate online store called Girls Bike Too??)

Still wish there was more choice on offer in the LBS though. Do find the whole having to order multiple sizes/styles to guage which fits best and then pay to return half of it, a right old faff. But I guess if not enough ladies go in and buy the stuff they won't see the need to keep it in stock.
  • Always interesting to know what other girls are wearing and how they find different brands/styles fit.
    At present (because I'm still pretty new to the sport) I'm quite casual on the clothes that I wear on the bike, they're not cycling specific. I think I have a t-shirt addiction, and feed this through extremepie.com anyone else shop there? :lol:
  • smallred
    Bike stuff used to be so naff that I used to just wear cotton camo shorts over liners but ended up wearing the arse/thighs out of several pairs! :) So then I started getting cycle-specific shorts.

Here are some links to stuff I rate (i.e. use constantly):

For around town:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Womens/11/Sug ... 360048686/
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36596
    and these (in black), although I wear them everywhere, even when I have no intention of getting on a bike!:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=37874

These are my fav shorts for MTB/dowhill:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33614
    My only gripe is that if the were 1" longer in the leg they would stay over my knee armour when sat on the bike, but that's just cosmetic. They don't get stuck behind it or anything.

My Singletrack 3/4 length are a fav too but I've erm... temporarily outgrown them for the moment :)
    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=253
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Lisa HT
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    Why not try the Assos ones?? It is really difficult you dont find out they ride up until its too late and you have spent the money.

In my experience I have used both the cheapest and most expensive and its all about getting the right size. Pulling them down as much as possible helps but it may be the way your riding!