Cassette wear

mrfmilo
mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Roughly after how many miles will a cassette be worn leading to a chain slipping? Road cassettes in particular - will a new chain slip on a road cassette which has been used for 100ish miles?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    My cassette's done about 10000 with no slipping at all.

You'll be fine.
  • mrfmilo
    njee20 wrote:
    My cassette's done about 10000 with no slipping at all.

You'll be fine.

With a new chain?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    depends what conditions the riding's been in. If it's muddy and gritty, all the drud forms a grinding paste, and will dramatically shorten life.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    My chain snapped before it started skipping. After 5000ish miles. Got a new cassette with the new chain done another 3000 miles no issues. Chain's not even streched this time. Halfords fitted the last chain and I don't think they shortened it at all, the wear was showing much sooner than with this one. Like for like replacements on both.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • njee20
    On the road that's not really that much of an issue. If anyone can trash a road cassette in 100 miles they deserve an award.

I changed my chain a couple of thousand miles ago and it was fine.
  • mrfmilo
    Thanks for the answers - So a road cassette with 100 miles on it will be fine with a NEW chain?

Thanks
  • njee20
    Unless you lubed it with sand, and then used it to grind along the kerb for that 100 miles.
  • mrfmilo
    :lol: Thanks guys :)
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    changed my mountain bike chain which was between 0.75 and 1% worn according to a park tools chain wear guage. I had done about 1,000 miles on the chain with the same cassette. I replaced the chain and its running fine with the old cassette, no skipping at all.

You should be fine - 100 miles is nowt, particularly on-road.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hairy Boy wrote:
    changed my mountain bike chain which was between 0.75 and 1% worn according to a park tools chain wear guage. I had done about 1,000 miles on the chain with the same cassette. I replaced the chain and its running fine with the old cassette, no skipping at all.
    I did this (chain was just onto .75 worn) and it was basically unusable because it was skipping so much.

So I replaced the cassette.
    Still skipping :roll:

So I put the old stuff back on.

Still skipping!! :roll: :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    And that's why I just wear out my whole transmission and replace it all together, no messing about with measuring chains and hoping they work!
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    Last week I bought a new chain still skipping,so bought a new cassette still skipping changed the chain rings perfect.
    Chainrings were two years old though.
  • mrfmilo
    njee20 wrote:
    And that's why I just wear out my whole transmission and replace it all together, no messing about with measuring chains and hoping they work!

It's not going on an exitsting drivetrain. Built up my new bike, all new drive train, just need a cassette (found one I wanted but had some miles on it), hence the question.