Bottle boss lose

sicknote
sicknote Posts: 901
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hi All

I have been luck to have been given a Speclized Epic ( first carbon frames one ) and its been great plus fitted me better than the one I was riding.

The thing is one of the bottle boses is lose plus has a bolt stuck in it can need some help on how to got the bolt out and stop the bose from spining.

Thanks

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Dribble a little superglue between boss and frame, let it set and remove the bolt :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    drill a hole down the centre of the bolt is be for getting stuck bolts out. the bigger you drill the easier it will come out. needs a steady hand though. and never drill bigger than the bolt thread.
  • sicknote
    rake wrote:
    drill a hole down the centre of the bolt is be for getting stuck bolts out. the bigger you drill the easier it will come out. needs a steady hand though. and never drill bigger than the bolt thread.

Good idea but the boss it is in is lose so without beening able to glue it in on place, that would not be so easy.

Being an Antique restorer for a fews year ( not going to say how long :wink: )< it had crossed my mind but might try and glue it again and see how it goes.

Plus could do wiyth the other bottle for London to Cambridge if the weather is like it is at the momnet :D

Fingers crossed.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    topdude wrote:
    Dribble a little superglue between boss and frame, let it set and remove the bolt :D

Worked for me on my alu Allez frame, except I ised epoxy resin.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i see the problem. i take it there is no bottle cage attached. could you maybe hold the head with locking grips. its a trickey one.
  • sicknote
    redvee wrote:
    topdude wrote:

Worked for me on my alu Allez frame, except I ised epoxy resin.

D'oh forgot about that one and if you warm it up, it goes runny too :roll:

Will do that tonight :)
  • Its most likely a pressed in rivet - so the boss is just compressed into place

There's an easy trick to tightening them up - you need a wheel skewer which you screw into the bottle boss.

Actually :) Here's a much clearer explanation than my attempted ramblings -

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=147

Doddle to do and doesnt have the irreversibility of super glue

jon