Leg hair removal - what's your method of choice?!

gb2gw
gb2gw Posts: 81
edited July 2010 in Women
Here's a right girly topic for those of you ladies that are still about or lurking in the wings of this forum...

I'm dark haired and (possibly because of this) have berluddy persistent grows-like-weeds leg hair. I'm commuting in by bike about 3 times a week at the moment with shorts on (horrors!) cos it's so hot, and it's really brought home to me how often I need to shave my legs in order to keep them smooth, and it's a right faff.

I'm off to the alps next month and really would love to just forget about potentially bristly pins. Have toyed with the idea of getting them waxed but never had anything waxed before and am a bit of a wuss.

What do you do to keep your leg fuzz in check? Just nosey and looking for ideas/reassurance/info/advice.

Thanking you!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not female, but I'll dive in anyway, as I'll wager my leg hair is thicker than yours! :-)

Having tried Veet/other depilating creams/waxing/epilating etc, shaving is the least hassle by far. Waxing works alright, and may be worth considering for your Alps trip, but I don't really think it's a viable long term solution, either getting it done professionally or the DIY strips.

Still, I'm sure there are actual women far more qualified to answer!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ask on the road forums, the shaved legged serious roadies have several stickies on the matter, and discuss it regularly.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hello :D

Personal choice but I would stick to shaving - waxing HURTS :shock: Even worse than that is those epilator things - I tried those back in 1990 something when they first came out and was almost sick because it hurt so much (possibly added to because the thing had cost me about £60 too - a lot in those days!)! You could feel each hair being *pinged* out :shock: :shock:

Least painful gets my vote!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Shaving!

Home waxing is messy and painful. Professional waxing is expensive and painful. AND you have to have a good 5mm of hair growth for it to be effective, so you have to go through a wookie stage before getting done.
  • Shave - I've only tried to wax my legs once and only managed a couple of strips because it hurt so much! However, it might be worth it if you can stand the pain, because the patch I waxed has never grown back as thick as it was! :shock:

I bought one of those epilator things too - Super painful. It's in the cupboard, the razor always comes out over the epilator and it didn't get every hair out anyway.
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    another vote for the shave treatment, waxin is agony and should only be used on men so they can almost feel what it's like to give birth :lol:
    Caz xx
  • PamPen25
    PamPen25 Posts: 111
    +1 for shaving.

Even if it's a quick half-ar*ed job, it's better than nothing with less pain. I think waxing is for special occasions (too painful and messy).

:shock:
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Shave, waxing is like setting your legs on fire, especially if your mate's ducktape your legs up :shock: :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    Wow. Surprise chorus of support for the humble razor here! I thought I was terribly old fashioned and quaint in a world full of waxers :)

I also once tried using my sisters epilator when I was about 15. Dear god, I only let it rip out one hair before shrieking and throwing the thing on the floor and running away (or something like that). Were there ever such an instrument of torture!???

Mrs Toast, the potential for needing to look like a wookie before having fluff long enough to rip out by the roots was always something that put me off waxing before.

Looks like I might just stick with the non painful current method then.

Thanks for the replies!
  • Waxing for the first time does feel uncomfortable but after a couple of times it's painles can't be bothered with shaving every other day. Plus after waxing it takes about 5-6 wks before the next wax so worth the money, An i've noticed the hair isn't growing back so thick and it's softer :)
  • Sal31
    Sal31 Posts: 4
    I agree that waxing is uncomfortable to start with. However I only started waxing at the beginning of the year and have gone from having me legs waxed every 4 weeks to 6 weeks, the hair is considerably finer and even patchy in places.

If you do decide to go down thiis route, try taking 2 ibrufen about half an hour before hand.

Sal
  • bunch of girls.. waxing doesn't hurt!

My GF like to take the waxing strips to my feet/toes when she gets bored.... its kinda nice :D
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    you'd change you mind if she did your happy sack lol
    Caz xx
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    i use an epilator!! Seriously, find that after the first time it really doesn't hurt that much and it grows back much much finer. Couldn't be bothered with shaving all the time, think i'd go hippy if that was the only option :lol:
  • Mr Smooth
    Mr Smooth Posts: 70
    I got my legs waxed ahead of a recent tour and it certainly made applying sun lotion a million times easier.

Didn't hurt too much either.
    Mrs Smooth; a) v shocked as I hadn't warned her I was having this done and b) jealous 'cos as she's dark she couldn't let her legs grow through enough to get waxed and c) I've got better legs!!! ;)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Blow torch and a paint scraper luckily my mate was very very very very drunk at the time and he didnt feel a thing

He did chase me with a big stick the next day lucky for me he couldnt run very fast what with the pain in his legs

Rugby players eh :roll:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • CowboyBob
    CowboyBob Posts: 977
    you'd change you mind if she did your happy sack lol
    Caz xx

It's not that bad.

Veet on the other had ........... hurt like hell and my plums could have been used as stunt doubles for Rudolf the red nosed reindeer's nose! :oops:

Why don't you just go "French" and be hairy for a change?
    Cowboy by name, Cowboy by nature ...... and sick \'n\' twisted to boot!!!

http://www.wetshovel.vox.com

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1081352/