Ridiculous question

davildo
davildo Posts: 162
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
This is an embarassingly straight forward question so will keep it brief.

Which way up should a puncture repair patch go?

Do you peel off the foil and stick it on, then remove the clear plastic sheet or the other way round?

(Shuffles away quickly so as not to be recognised.)

Cheers.

P.S. I have been searching for a definitive answer to this for about an hour.

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Peel off the foil first.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    never heard of that type... but, is the plastic sheet bigger than the rubber?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    :lol: funny you should ask that... I flatted in Delamere and briefly considered repairing the first puncture I've had since I started pedalling after at least ten years.

I took the repair kit out, saw the foil and the plastic and put it all back away. Spare tube came in handy... The tube is still sat in the living room awaiting repair.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Clean the area around the puncture with the abrasive pad, apply a pea sized blob of the glue, spreading it around the puncture with your finger so that it covers an area just larger than the patch. Wait for it to go tacky, peel off the foil, and the patch goes down so that the papery backing is facing outwards, i.e the actual rubber patch bit itself is against the tube. Once the patch is applied, take some dirt or chalk and pat it down onto the remaining glue.

Hope this helps :)
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    use a

SELF ADHESIVE one :D
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • bennett_346
    joec1 wrote:
    use a

SELF ADHESIVE one :D
    For the sake of two minutes extra work and a better patch job, i'd "stick" to normal ones.
  • joec1
    hmm.. but then its more weight to carry ;) where as i have 1 lever and two patches... never had an issue to date...
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Self adhesive as a 'get me home' should you use your spare innertube.

But then a proper repair at home.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • davildo
    davildo Posts: 162
    Thanks everyone.

I've now got some self-adhesive patches for taking out (I don't want to get caught out in the middle of nowhere up to my knees in stingers again!!) My spare tube is now on the front wheel but thought I'd try and repair the other tube.

The problem I was having was that I peeled the foil and applied, having roughed the tube and waited til the glue was tacky, but then when I pulled the clear plastic backing off of the patch it looked as though it was pulling the patch off.

I think I've nailed it now though.

Cheers all.
  • joec1
    cool. with the Self Adhesive, just make sure you press down the pad an hold with pressure for a few seconds before re-fitting it :) just to make sure the tacky surface bonds nicely :)
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    Davildo wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

I've now got some self-adhesive patches for taking out (I don't want to get caught out in the middle of nowhere up to my knees in stingers again!!) My spare tube is now on the front wheel but thought I'd try and repair the other tube.

The problem I was having was that I peeled the foil and applied, having roughed the tube and waited til the glue was tacky, but then when I pulled the clear plastic backing off of the patch it looked as though it was pulling the patch off.

Cheers all.

I wouldn't use a nail mate, that will just make the hole bigger!

Sorry
  • bennett_346
    Davildo wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

Cheers all.
    I don't think the backing is meant to come off, i always leave it on when i do it.
  • antfly
    It is meant to come off, just pull it. :?
  • bennett_346
    antfly wrote:
    Suppose it depends on the patches, i've had ones where you take it off, ones where you cant without the patch coming off. I prefer to leave it on anyway, that way any excess glue that ive missed with the chalk doesn't stick to the tyre.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    antfly wrote:

No its not.

Contrary to the advice given in a recent Bikeradar how to, the clear plastic coating stops the patch sticking to to the inside of the tyre, you don't need to use talc.
  • antfly
    OK, so you can leave it on if you want to,
    It`s hardly worthy of debate,
    But if you want my opinion i`ll give it to you,
    Just think of all that extra weight. :P