Long Travel Hardtail

toby_winkler
toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
I am thinking about swapping out my frame and forks for something with a bit more travel. Probably looking into getting some 2010 Rockshox Revelations at 140 or 150mm. However I am unsure about the frame I would like.

My two favourite frames at the moment are the Ragley mmmBop and the Dialled Alpine. The weight of the mmmBop seems nice compared to the Alpine, all though weight shouldn't be too bad, should easily be able to keep it under 30lbs.

Is there any other frames I should consider for £350 or under?

(P.S I don't want a 456 :wink: )

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Blue Pig is the steel sister of the MMMBop - but the latter is 2lbs lighte.
  • toby_winkler
    supersonic wrote:
    The Blue Pig is the steel sister of the MMMBop - but the latter is 2lbs lighte.

Yeah I understand this, the weight of the mmmBop is why I wouldn't really consider the Blue Pig.

Anything else in the same price range?
  • supersonic
    Kinesis pha5e if you can find any left.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Used cove stiffee?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • toby_winkler
    supersonic wrote:
    Kinesis pha5e if you can find any left.

Don't they only come in 14 and 16 inch? Well all the ones that I have seen have been 14 or 16 inch.
  • toby_winkler
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Used cove stiffee?

I have also thought about this, but I thought it would be nice to get a new frame this time round. Unless a perfectly brand new one came up 2nd hand!
  • There's the cotic BFe, beauty of a frame, similar weight to the alpine.
  • toby_winkler
    There's the cotic BFe, beauty of a frame, similar weight to the alpine.

That is another one to consider! This decision could turn out to be quite hard!
  • supersonic
    I think the MMBop takes some serious beating. Weight/strength/price, has it all on its side. This thing is lighter than my Zaskar LE frame.
  • toby_winkler
    supersonic wrote:
    I think the MMBop takes some serious beating. Weight/strength/price, has it all on its side. This thing is lighter than my Zaskar LE frame.

mmmBop is definitely the top of the list at the moment. Are Revelations with 1.5in steerers easy to find? All the cheaper ones seem to have 1 1/8.
  • supersonic
    Not easy to find - but you could use a step down headset anyway.
  • toby_winkler
    supersonic wrote:
    Not easy to find - but you could use a step down headset anyway.

This is true, but then I wouldn't be utilising the 1.5in headtube ;)
  • brewcrew
    brewcrew Posts: 3
    santa cruz chameleon or chumba hx1
    the are very similar frames
    but are both a little bit above your price range, i think they're worth it
  • toby_winkler
    brewcrew wrote:
    santa cruz chameleon or chumba hx1
    the are very similar frames
    but are both a little bit above your price range, i think they're worth it

Both very nice frames, but unfortunately a little bit over my budget!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On paper it's the Mmmbop really. But the geometry does divide opinion a bit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    My BFe rides beautifully and the finishing/quality on it is second to none - the only niggle I had was that the mech hanger had not been chased out... apart from that, I don't think there's any other LT hardtial out there that can beat it (bar the Evil Sovereighn)

But if it's cheap and good value you're looking for, the Mmmbop is probably best for you.

The BFe isn't light (wasn't designed to be) and that's really OK for me, so again, if lightweight is what you're after - get the Mmbop.
  • toby_winkler
    The mmmBop does seem like the winner at the moment, good price,rather light and sounds like it can take a good battering (and also looks rather nice as well!)

Can anyone recommend a decent step down headset? As the likely hood of me getting some forks with a 1.5in steerer is very slim.
  • Northwind
    Hope's stepdown is nice, I don't usually recommend Hope since it's not generally very good value but stepdowns are generally overpriced anyway so it works out pretty good. Generally I'd say FSA but they just don't seem to have themselves sorted out for this.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Big Cheese
    The mmmBop does seem like the winner at the moment, good price,rather light and sounds like it can take a good battering (and also looks rather nice as well!)

Can anyone recommend a decent step down headset? As the likely hood of me getting some forks with a 1.5in steerer is very slim.

Chris King Devolution

Hope

FSA Gravity (great price on CRC)

There's a lot out there ;)

Isnt the Mmbop a integrated headset jobby though?
  • toby_winkler

I think it is, would this mean something than a step down would be needed?
  • The Big Cheese
    You can still get a integrated step-down..
    http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... 5461&rs=gb

Note: Im not saying THIS ONE will fit... you need to get exact details before ordering ;)
  • toby_winkler
    You can still get a integrated step-down..
    http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... 5461&rs=gb

Note: Im not saying THIS ONE will fit... you need to get exact details before ordering ;)

That was the hope one i saw earlier, seems to be get some good reviews over some of the other on crc.

Won't be ordering anything quite yet, need to get the plans and everything sorted out first! Best to plan ahead though.
  • Northwind
    The Big Fat Pig's enormously heavy and seems to be poorly sealed, judging by the rust constantly running out of the bottom of my mate's one... Devolution is nice no doubt but then it's enough for 2 Hopes and an FSA.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • toby_winkler
    Northwind wrote:
    The Big Fat Pig's enormously heavy and seems to be poorly sealed, judging by the rust constantly running out of the bottom of my mate's one... Devolution is nice no doubt but then it's enough for 2 Hopes and an FSA.

Yeah, I heard the FSA wasn't the best, if you look after it properly thought it would probably be fine. Devolution is a bit on the expensive side, Hope probably looks like the best bet at the moment. Running a hope headset on my current frame and cant fault it.
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    I built up my mmmbop with some pretty solid (and heavy) kit since I tend to thrash bikes. It's got some weighty 36 Vans on it.

However, the build comes in at 27lbs. Which isn't bad considering whats hanging off the frame and what it's designed to do.

I would suggest a test ride though. The geo is interesting and it can be tricky to get the right size (i ride a 16" and I'm about 5' 9").

I spent a lot of time looking for a hardtail frame and demo'ed quite a few. The mmmbop is insanely fun to ride for me, but my mate can't get on with it at all (he's more of a steep angled XC boy though).

With the right parts, a 24/25lb build is quite easily acheived (if you're going for a light build). But to be honest, I think it's really well suited to being a hardcord hartail rather than a weight weeny, flat path racer.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    there was a grouptest of hardcore hardtails in WMB really recently, i've got it at my other workplace, pm me and i can post it over if you post it back with haribo :lol:

The evil sovereign was the winner IIRC... awesome little bike.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    this is the step down h/set i used on my mmmbop. awesome for the money and looks great too
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38693
    here it is fitted
    CIMG0018-1.jpg
    CIMG0003.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    The evil sovereign was the winner IIRC... awesome little bike.

I rode one of those, absolutely blinding fun! It's quite pricey new though (well, compared to the mmmbop anyway)
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083

I think it is, would this mean something than a step down would be needed?
    also it isnt an integrated headset it a standard 1.5inch head tube
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • toby_winkler
    Thanks for the info guys, might have to find out if any shops near me stock any mmmBops so I can give one a test ride.

I'm 6'4 (shortish legs, long body), so not sure whether to go for an 18 inch with plenty of post, or go for a 20 inch. I prefer the look of the 18 inch, and being able to chuck it around a bit more would be nice. Suppose I'm going to have to test ride one to see if I could put up with the smaller frame size though.