Headset Impact?

allezcourage
allezcourage Posts: 64
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Seeking advice....

On a ride last night I hit a wonky old cattlegrid, the first spar of which was a couple of inches above the broken up road surface in front of it. There was a thud on impact and my full bottle flew out of its cage (something I've not had happen before). At the time I was relieved to find my front wheel was still true (Easton EA50SL). I later realise that there is now significant play in the headset - the fork is able to move back and forth.

My question is - is this something I can fix simply by tightening the bolt on the headset, or is there likely to be more significant damage? The fork has a carbon steerer.

Thanks!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Probably just slipped due to the impact - loosen stem clamp screws, re-adjust top cap and re-tighten stem screws. Unless their was a really loud 'bang', I wouldn't worry about damage - bike frames are pretty durable, give it a thorough visual inspection and listen out for creaks that weren't there before.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think I'd be tempted to whip the fork out just to be absolutely sure there's no damage to the steerer or the bearings, then reassemble, preload, and tighten the stem clamp bolts.
  • Damage to the bearings was what I was most worried about. I'll investigate further - thanks very much for your help!