Found out the "Truth" today

Splottboy
Splottboy Posts: 3,695
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a brand new frame, and rang a good mate. Nat standard XC/Enduro/24hr rider, Roadie, bike shop owner etc. Podium finishes a few times this year.

He asked if I wanted Carbon, I replied, tentatively..."Maybe..."

Then came the Truth...
Lately, he's had A Full sus snap, and hardtail break and a CX bike snap. ALL Carbon.
ALL different companies

He's only about 67kg soaking wet, is a very skillful rider, picks his lines well, not a DH dude.

So, my next statement was, "What you got in Aluminium?"

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Holy crap you're spending money by the truckload right now! Seems like every other thread is you, pondering what to buy next :lol:

So, was that Gareth from Revolution then?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It's a conspiracy!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Everyone knows that if you use carbon in a vehicle it'll launch itself into the air. Too light, you see :wink:
    webber420-420x0.jpg
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aluminium frames of course will never snap.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Northwind wrote:
    Aluminium frames of course will never snap.

nope.
  • Splottboy
    No. it was Matt.

He was one of my "finds" when he was a Jnr, and I was WCU Asst Nat Coach,
    N.Wales Talent Team Mangr and Reg Dev Officer.
    I was able to help Gareth get on the Welsh squad by twisting Shane Suttons arm. Twice!

But, 3 bikes, 3 manufacturers apparently, 3 breaks...

Yep, alu snaps, but having had nearly 30 bikes, steel and alu, Ti, only prob was chainstay weld on RSP hardtail go on me.

I LOVE my Carbon Giant TCR 2, but watch its frame integrity.
  • Splottboy
    Well, Royal Snail just sent me a cheque for 2K, gotta spend some on a frame, you know!

Mrs wants to have a hot hol in Oct, so big part gonna to some hol company somewhere.

So, play my cards right, and I could be riding a new rig in Crete!!!

"Stavros! Please bring more souvlakis, ouzo, baklavas and 4 Amstels...cold,!!!"
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I always thought any carbon on a mountain bike was a bad idea.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is no reason why a properly designed for use Carbon frame should snap, and we have seen lots of cracked Commi/LaPierre ally frames on here recently......

Notice how heavy the 456 Carbon frame is compared to some of the racing whippet style hardtails......1500g versus some of them down at just sub 1Kg, mind you the same was said about the super light ally frames yet my friends GT Team Zaskar is still going strong......I do wonder if in trying to have the very lightets some manufacturers have missed the point, also of course carbon is very susceptable to manufacturing issues at the joints (real or virtual) ally far less so unless the material properties are killed by poor welding.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.