Packing a bike into a bike bag oracle

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Just doing this for the first time the night before I set off for the Marmotte. :roll:

Just one question, really. Handlebars. Off or on, then twisted to the side? I would take them off, but I don't really want them rattling around in the bag and dinging the carbon frame.

What's the received wisdom on this? Apart from try it out way in advance of needing to do it, of course. :lol:

Comments

• JSB24
    JSB24 Posts: 37
    I'll also be packing my bike for the Marmotte tomorrow, and havent attempted it before, but had been advised to use electrical tape (as it doesnt leave any sort of mark) and tape the handlebars to the frame.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I undid mine from the stem, twisted to the side and packed tight with bubble wrap...
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Sorted. Took the bars off, strapped to top tube with velcro. Lovely old job. Bit worried about the rear triangle, though. Should really have something to put between the drop-outs, but there you go.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, get some foam pipe lagging and cable ties from your DIY store. Try and get spacers for the drop-oust - your LBS should have plastic packing spacers that come with new bikes. Alternatively, a short length of copper pipe, a couple of big washers and your wheel QR works too. I leave bars on, but loosen stem and rotate them down such that the levers point down and one end passes through the frame - protects the levers from damage. Unscrew the rear mech too and cable-tie to the rear drop-out spacer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Also, put the chain on the big chainring and remove the rear mech and tape it to the frame. I put my bike in the bag upside down to reduce the chance of damage to the more fragile bits (chainring, mech, forks).