Differences in Group sets

SamHillier
SamHillier Posts: 24
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Was just wondering what the differences are between the shimano XTR and the SLX? and what would you go for and why?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    XTR the most expensive and lightest. While the SLX somewhere in the middle.

Who buy full groupsets any way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SamHillier
    im not buying the whole groupset just upgrading certain areas but just wanted to know in general what the difference is. what would you go for??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also Shimano has details on their website.
  • SamHillier
    cheers guys just bourght the cube acid in black and got a good deal so was wondering what to upgrade. also i wondering what change would make the biggest difference in weight??
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SLX is a corking groupset. Highly recommended.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    Good article about this very subject in the current issue (July 2010) of WMB.

Basically, as nicklouse said, XTR is currently top of the Shimano range, followed by XT, SLX, Deore and so on...
  • SamHillier
    this is gonna sound silly but you mentined the xt is that the deore xt
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, Deore XT is known just as XT.

So you just bought a bike and want to upgrade already? I'd ride it for a bit.
  • pte1643
    SLX is a corking groupset. Highly recommended.

Which is pretty much what the WMB article said.

XTR... "Realistically" too exotic/expensive for the keen amatuer.

XT... Very Nice.

SLX... Almost as good as XT, but half the cost.
  • SamHillier
    will do was just wondering really?? also what does 11-32 means in the cassette
  • pte1643
    Smallest gear is 11 teeth... Biggest is 32 teeth.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Not sure I understand. Why buy a bike and "upgrade" straight away rather than bike a better spec bike? Surely it would work out cheaper ?
    What's wrong with the parts being "upgraded"?
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    nickfrog wrote:
    Not sure I understand. Why buy a bike and "upgrade" straight away rather than bike a better spec bike? Surely it would work out cheaper ?
    What's wrong with the parts being "upgraded"?

I know what you mean,although most on here seem to take that approach with relatively expensive new bikes,at least this way you might actually notice a difference in the upgraded kit :lol:
  • Anonymous
    SamHillier wrote:
    cheers guys just bourght the cube acid in black and got a good deal so was wondering what to upgrade. also i wondering what change would make the biggest difference in weight??
    This forum seems to be full of over-walleted riders recently.
    If you've just bought it, then ride it until you either notice a deficiency, or break something.
  • SamHillier
    yeehaamcgee i plan to ride it for a while anyway before upgrading, i just wanted some general information on upgrading in the future!
  • SamHillier
    just wondering what do you experienced riders think of the cube acid as a first mountain bike
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    No idea but you just bought it so maybe you tell us how it feels ?
  • Anonymous
    Well, it's a great bike, but it could do with a few upgrades :lol:

just kidding!
  • Anonymous
    pte1643 wrote:
    Smallest gear is 11 teeth... Biggest is 32 teeth.

strictly speaking, biggest is sheepsteeth
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Well, it's a great bike, but it could do with a few upgrades :lol:

just kidding!

:lol:
    groupset maybe ?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The Cube Acid is a nice mid range hardtail. I personally wouldn't put XTR on the bike. It'd be just like dumping a set of flash wheels and a big bore exhaust on a Saxo.

Upgrade wise, I'd do the forks, wheels/tyres and contact points before I start upgrading the groupset. I'd only start chopping and changing drivetrain parts when they become worn out.
  • Anonymous
    The Cube Acid is a nice mid range hardtail. I personally wouldn't put XTR on the bike. It'd be just like dumping a set of flash wheels and a big bore exhaust on a Saxo.
    Plenty of people do that round here though :lol: They sound stupid with their piddly little "my first car" 1l engines and massive exhausts :lol:
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    People do it here too. This morning, I passed (I think) a Corsa with more plastic and filler than Madonna.

I wouldn't stop the OP upgrading their bike to a XTR groupset, but I'd rather see it go on something fitting to the parts used
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I wonder if even the most experienced riders can tell the difference between XTR and Deore for example if the decals was blanked out?

I've got the full XT groupset (2006) on my MTB, but I really can't tell the difference with my mates LX geared spare bike. If anything I prefer his shifters better.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • SamHillier
    after looking back at the posts I am going to upgrade the shifters to shimano slx but before im going to upgrade the forks.

Do you guys know what size forks my cube acid will take?? ie the biggest
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    100mm to be on the safe side.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Oh dear. :shock:

If you have a ceaseless desire to throw cash at something, may I suggest that you first spend some of it on riding lessons and/or holidays where you can RIDE YOUR BIKE and figure out what you do and do not like, and what works for you.

The idea that you feel you must change something - anything - immediately does not inspire any confidence that:
    1. you have a working brain
    2. you did any research or test rides
    3. you talked things over with your bike shop

Go ride your bike for a few months and then get back to the forum once you have a clue. Sorry if this appears rude, but really...
  • Anonymous
    satanas wrote:

If you have a ceaseless desire to throw cash at something, may I suggest that you first spend some of it on riding lessons and/or holidays where you can RIDE YOUR BIKE and figure out what you do and do not like, and what works for you.

The idea that you feel you must change something - anything - immediately does not inspire any confidence that:

Go ride your bike for a few months and then get back to the forum once you have a clue. Sorry if this appears rude, but really...
    Well said.
  • SamHillier wrote:
    This forum seems to be full of over-walleted riders recently.
    If you've just bought it, then ride it until you either notice a deficiency, or break something.

What if you bought it knowing full well something on the bike was deficient, but overall the deal was too good to miss.
  • SamHillier
    satanas wrote:

Well said.

If you read previous posts you will realise that I was just inquiring and you have presumed that I am going to instantly buy something anyway I have a centre parcs holiday booked so there will be a good place to try it out.