Meta or home-built mongrel for GT Black run?

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited July 2010 in MTB general
So, a while ago I was a bit bored and thinking it might be fun to have one of those 'hardcore hardtails' to play about on, so decided to make my own. Now it turns out I'll be riding the Black run at Glentress on Friday and I can't really be bothered re-assembling my Commencal Meta UK before then. So, I ask you wise people, will my *rse ever forgive me for riding this monstrosity for nearly 30k at GT?

30016_406261767179_505612179_4182584_7902563_n.jpg
Obviously, I'll need to change the saddle.

p.s. feel free to slag off this monstrosity- the frame's a Brand-X something-or-other

p.p.s- in my more ignorant/stubborn days, I rode that frame at GT, Traquair, Aye, Mabie and Dalbeattie a number of times, with a 105mm fork and v-brakes. And an old shimano Dura-Ace crankset with a single 42t chainring up-front and 7 gears at the back.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    well, it should handle it fine, but given the length of the Glentress black, I reckon you'd suffer if you were riding that.
    Looks like the perfect machine for the freeride area though.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    If you can get your seat high enough for XC mode, then yeah take that. But if not, as the above poster said, you will REALLY suffer.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    It's not just the seat height that struck me, it looks like a very top-tube. Great for thrashing, but not for hours of riding.
  • Yeah, the seatpost is pretty long- not quite perfect XC pedalling height, but then I can't get that on my other bike either, really. I reckon I'm going to go for it- partly out of a sense of curiosity, partly to get bragging rights over my riding buddies, but mostly because I can't be bothered staying up 'til midnight disassembling this and putting all the bits back on the Meta!

I may stick a bashguard on instead of the big ring though, and try and tidy the cables up somehow.
  • Anonymous
    ah, you're sharing parts between two frames? I see.
    Hartail then in that case. I've had a few times of swapping parts over and finding that I'm missing something, like gear cable outer or something dast like that.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Hardcore HTs FTW!
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    All I'd really say is, rather you than me! :lol::o
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Okay, I'm interpreting this as 3 of you 'for' and one 'against'. I'll let you know how it works out.

Heh- at least this way I can't forget to turn Propedal off for the descents...
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Bragging rights? Drop the saddle and do it all out of the seat. I've got legs what do I need suspension for!?!?!?! Raaaaaaaaah
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Anonymous
    Okay, I'm interpreting this as 3 of you 'for' and one 'against'. I'll let you know how it works out.

Heh- at least this way I can't forget to turn Propedal off for the descents...
    You shouldn't need to turn propedal off for the descents, it's not a lockout.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have left my ETA on for the entire decent of Whites Level - that was.....annoying.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • You shouldn't need to turn propedal off for the descents, it's not a lockout.

But if I didn't turn it off for the descents, I probably wouldn't ever turn it off, and then there'd be no point in having the little switch there that lets me turn it off...
  • Anonymous
    the switch for turning it off is for bikes that have been properly designed, and don't need it :wink::lol:
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    mrfmilo wrote:
    Hardcore HTs FTW!

+ Potato!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, it's a bike, so ride it!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Glentress black is great fun a HT, little punishing at points but its worth it.

I can ride it on my HT amd I know many others that do as well, I knew someone that did it on a rigid as well :shock:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd do GT black on my hardtail again no bother. I don't think I'd do it on that... thing :lol: Meta would be in its element, if it was a choice between a nicely set up and sorted HT and full suss that'd be harder but it seems to be a choice between a really nice full suss and a weird bike shaped thing :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I'd go for it - i've only ever done it on my chameleon & whilst my ass took a beating that day it was fun, there was one particularly rocky downhill bit where I got 2 punctures in the space of about 500m which was annoying as it was freezing/ raining/snowing, and i'm sure it started to get dark roundabout halfway through and some bits were covered in snow/ice & largely impossible to ride... Could be worse - at least you didn't decide to do it on your unforgiving hardtail in January with a hangover. :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    as long as your seat post goes up enough to extend the reach a bit (it does lay back quite a bit that seattube...)..... then go for it.

i predict pushing up the tower (in fairness....most folk find that one tough going o any bike....), and redemption!

go for it.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    There are some long climbs on that route - if you can't get into a comfortable/efficient position you'll suffer big time. All the climbs are ridable on a properly setup bike, but I doubt if they would be on that thing. :lol:
  • @cee: Yeah, I just put the saddle up and was looking at the angles compared with a decent, normal bike- the saddle winds up quite far behind the cranks with the seat post out full. I think that'll make the climbing pretty tough.

Of course, I could move the saddle forward but then the cockpit winds up being rather cramped, which could also make climbing pretty tough. I can assure you I'll be pushing up Redemption. I've never done the full black route before, so never done the Tower, but I suspect you'll be proved right about that too.

Sod it, it's too late to start tinkering now. I can always do the route again pretty much whenever I like anyway :wink:

Wish me luck!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    @cee: Yeah, I just put the saddle up and was looking at the angles compared with a decent, normal bike- the saddle winds up quite far behind the cranks with the seat post out full. I think that'll make the climbing pretty tough.

Of course, I could move the saddle forward but then the cockpit winds up being rather cramped, which could also make climbing pretty tough. I can assure you I'll be pushing up Redemption. I've never done the full black route before, so never done the Tower, but I suspect you'll be proved right about that too.

Sod it, it's too late to start tinkering now. I can always do the route again pretty much whenever I like anyway :wink:

Wish me luck!

lucks for losers. smash it. :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.