Gits.

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,695
edited June 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Phoned O2 a good while ago to try to set up broadband and home phone service for the house I'm moving into tomorrow. Note: The previous occupant is a friend of mine, and was with O2 for phone and broadband.

"We're sorry sir, the previous occupant's account is still active, we can't do anything until he's cancelled his account."

Fair enough. His contract expired today, so I give them another call to set it up.

"We're sorry sir, the previous occupant's contract has expired and the line's gone inactive. We can't reactivate it ourselves, try asking BT to do it."

So I call BT.

"We're sorry sir, we can't just reactivate the line, you'll have to pay your line rental with us as well."

*fumes*

So, I'm getting a BT line installed on Friday. With more expensive line rental than O2 charge, but O2 can't reconnect the line apparently. I'll then have to phone O2 again once the line's installed in order to get them to come and set us up a broadband account.

Now, this isn't BT's fault. This is because of the first guy I spoke to, whose name I unfortunately didn't get. If he hadn't told me incorrect information, I would have it all set up as I wanted, instead of having to have accounts with two separate companies, and I wouldn't have a long wait for the broadband connection to be set up. So, I'm annoyed. Very annoyed.

Comments

• spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    nothing to do with 02, if the contract had been cancelled, then the line would have been in place, as it expired BT will disconnect.

They then get to charge you lots of money for pushing a button.

BT really do suck.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    Aren't O2 just a branch of BT?
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Aren't O2 just a branch of BT?
    I'm almost certain they used to be (if not still!) and I'm glad someone else thinks so too, as everyone I ask seems to think I'm mad. As far as I know, O2 was the mobile side of BT, yes?
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    They then get to charge you lots of money for pushing a button.

This is not the case; if the line has actually been disconnected, which I very highly doubt that they went out of their way in a day to do (usually takes 3-6 months) they need to have gone to the exchenge and disconnected it there. This is why they charge over £100 to reconnect a line (which is a rip-off)

It is most likely a breakdown in communication between 'BT Openreach' and 'BT Wholesale' and then in turn 'BT Wholesale' and 'O2'.

Since BT was forced to separate into several different companies they have been struggling to keep up with the change of pace within thier business and communication has almost completely broken down both within the the BT umbrella corp. and other ISPs like O2 etc.
    BT really do suck.

Agreed, everything about copper communication lines (BT) fails...
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    o2 were, in a previous incarnation a part of BT (anyone remember BT Cellnet?)

They then turned into o2 who are currently part of the Telefonica group. (Big Spanish based net op)
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    It will be 4 physics students in this house. I think this will happen by Friday:

moving.png
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    O2's line rental may seem cheaper than BT's but they WILL get that money back somehow, since THEY have to pay BT for the line anyway.