Gears slipping and brake cable replacement

Will.C
Will.C Posts: 245
edited June 2010 in Workshop
Hi, the gf's rear mech seems to have suddenly started slipping on the 27 sprocket on the cassette, it jumps from the granny gear to the 2nd easiest sprocket when you should be in granny gear and does this constantly as long as your pedalling, also does this at the opposite end of the sprocket on the 11 tooth with the enxt one up, just slips between both when pedalling. Is this a gear indexing problem, shoddy cassette or shoddy derailleur?

I can't see why the indexing would suddenly be out? Any ideas

Also, does anyone know how to replace the brake cables on sora shifters, is it as easy as removing the cable from the caliper and pulling the lever, then just pull the cable out by it's nipple ( :shock: ) ?

Ta

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    has it been serviced since purchase?

Could be cables bedding in or gunked up.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    1.) I'd suggest releasing the cable from the clamp on the rear mech then setting the indexing up from scratch as recommended by Shimano.

2.) Yes, I think so
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    keef66 wrote:
    1.) I'd suggest releasing the cable from the clamp on the rear mech then setting the indexing up from scratch as recommended by Shimano.

2.) Yes, I think so

+1............ Something is out of adjustment. Set the rear mech up from scratch(as above) and be sure to do it per Shimano's instruction sheet, not how you think it should be.
    If you have changed wheels and / or cassettes this can also contribute to a slight
    misalignment of rear d. and cogs.
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Bike hasn't been serviced, no, we got it off ebay in quite a state. Have a new cassette coming, replacing a 11-27 with a 11-25 so I'm sure that will mess with the indexing even more.

This shimano instruction sheet, will that be found on the shimano website?

Cheers
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yes. Just find the right groupset, then the rear derailleur, and the instruction sheet you'd get with it is one of the pdf's at the top (the others are exploded diagrams)