2004 enduro expert vs 2004 enduro s works

gnusmas
gnusmas Posts: 167
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

is there any major differences between these frames? i have been offered both (expert is a medium, s works is a large). I am 5' 10" with a 29-30" inside leg so looking at info i am on the crossover for sizing. I know the s works should have a brain fitted (not sure if this is on the frame though) so other than that (and slight size difference) is there actually any differences? Are there any problems i should know about either or general things to look out for? This will be my transition from HT to full sus.

Any help and guidance will be muchly appreciated.

Alan.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well there was the Pro model in between

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... d=04Enduro
    FSR technology, A1 TransForm Monocoque w/ M5-XX ORE technology DT, butted rear triangle, forged / relieved HT & BB, sealed cartridge bearings, 130mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger
    A1 Premium Aluminum TransForm Monocoque FSR frame, ORE technology DT, sealed cartridge bearings, ITch Switch 100/130mm on-the-fly adjustable travel, replaceable derailleur hanger
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gnusmas
    with the enduro, comp, expert and pro does this mean better finishing kit and components hence different names and prices?

is the s works different again to all of the other enduro's?

thx for your reply by the way :)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    The S-works was made out of their premium aluminium; M5. Who knows whether the benefits are real though... they say slightly lighter, slightly stiffer but I firmly believe in diminishing returns at these price points. M5 might be a marginally better alloy, but will you ever notice the difference when you're covered in sweat and dung?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I've heard a lot of talk about S-Works frames being made of different metals etc (newer ones are Carbon of course) but on older Endruo's they're all the same.

S-Works frames were typically the 'frame only' option so could be built to any spec really.

Go with what fits you best and is the best condition. 6 years is a long time for a mountain bike.
  • bluechair84
    Nick's quotes from the website say that the two frames are made from different grade alloys - M5 on the S-Works and A1 on all other frames. The S-Works used to be a frame only option as far as I know but it is made of different materials.
  • gnusmas
    Would the different materials really be noticeable when riding the bike?
    does anyone have any experience of either of these frames?

thanx for all the info so far :)
  • bluechair84
    as I said, I doubt you'd really notice the difference when your out on the trail. I could never feel any difference between a 7000 series alloy frame or a 6000 series alloy frame -. I hope that doesn't make me ignorant to the soul of the bike!
    But an S-Works will be more sellable in the future just because of the tag. Get the S-Works if it's in budget.
  • gnusmas
    both definitely in budget, don't see much point in spending out on a new full sus yet incase i am one of the few that don't get on with them. looking forward to getting one though.

Does any one have any copies of reviews of the enduros they could email me? i have searched and found lots of user reviews but haven't found any test reviews by magazines. Just wandering what the general opinion is of the 'professionals' from what i have read these frames seem to be pretty good.
  • I have been riding a 2004 S-Works frame since 2004. VERY light, I am on a small frame, Fox Vanilla 125 forks, mavic 317's, Hope mini, XT/XTR, Easton Monkey lite.
    Been a great workhorse - travelled from Scotland to Whistler and Europe - no issues.
    I have just this week rebuilt with SRAM X0, not ridden yet as I just discovered the rear shock - original Fox with Brain - was blown. Just had to order new RP23 as a replacement.
    I am a 5' 5" 195lb rider, and the bike has been fantastic. It was originally sold as frame only, there are a lot of different builds, only thing I would lookout for is a weakened head tube if the bike has been used with more than 160mm trave or triple crowns. The anodized finish is great, after a clean my bike looks better than my sons 2009 FSR Expert, and he likes the ride better as well!
    Buy it......... :D