where is my front barrel adjuster...please help!!

trtimothy
trtimothy Posts: 117
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hey,

I have a Cervelo S2 with SRAM Red groupset and Gore Ride On cables. Recently I have started to notice the front derailleur is rubbing a bit on the smaller chainring so I need to alter the indexing. However I cannot find the barrel adjuster to do this!! Is it hidden inside the frame? Is this going to be a right mission to sort and should I take it to a bike shop?

Any help on locating the missing barrel adjuster greatly appreciated!!

Tom

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    if you can't see one, you haven't got one.

The only other option is to pull a bit more of the cable through the retaining bolt on the front mech...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    on the 2010 model i think it's where the cable enters the frame, not sure if it was there on earlier models, if not then there probably isn't one

but are you sure it's the fd itself touching the small chainring? afaik it shouldn't be able to reach it

more likely the chain is rubbing on it, you might need to adjust high/low limit screws

did you try following sram's adjustment instructions? it is quite straightforward to do...

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/RED ... 0PRINT.pdf
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    sungod wrote:
    on the 2010 model i think it's where the cable enters the frame, not sure if it was there on earlier models, if not then there probably isn't one

but are you sure it's the fd itself touching the small chainring? afaik it shouldn't be able to reach it

more likely the chain is rubbing on it, you might need to adjust high/low limit screws

did you try following sram's adjustment instructions? it is quite straightforward to do...

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/RED ... 0PRINT.pdf

+1...
    If the front derailleur is touching the chain ring, then maybe it's slipped down a bit...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • trtimothy
    trtimothy Posts: 117
    thanks for the help everyone. After half an hour or so and a trip to the shop to buy pliers as couldn't get the cable tight enough with my fingers I've managed to sort it. The cable I think had just stretched a bit over time so needed to be tighter

Thanks again
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    on the left hand side just by your lughole
    going downhill slowly