creaking

BikeyMikey1
BikeyMikey1 Posts: 82
edited June 2010 in Workshop
When I'm climbing a hill and putting pressure on my Giant Defy, the crank on the bike creaks like an old timber floor. What should I be looking at to cure this? Apart from replacing the crap Shimano Sora set up. Any help appreciated. Cheers :cry:

Comments

• gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Me too, on a newish Van Nic with Campag.

In my case it might be coming from my knees.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    Ah. not so much a workshop thread as an old friend...

Search 'creaking' on the forums and you'll have a lifetime's reading.

Nutshell: not always the BB, not always an obvious source at all; look at stripping/cleaning and relubing/reinstalling stem/bars/pedals/seat post/wheel skewers/chainring bolts/cleats, or any perm 2 from 7.

For what it's worth, on my Litespeed after some wet riding it's invariably the wheel skewers. I stripped/reinstalled/replaced my BB 3 times before I worked that one out...

The noise is a mechanical ventriloquist, can sound like it's definitely coming from somewhere it isn't.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Whip out the chainset & grease the spindle. Refit it & nip it up. BB could be past it's best but try this first. Tighten the chainring bolts too. Dry pedal threads can also creak abit.

Sometimes if the front QR skewer is dry that'll creak too when you press on a bit up the climbs, mine was doing this a few weeks ago & sounded like it was coming from the chainset.
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    My creaking was caused by a seatpost that was too long...
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess I'll check my knees first as this is the easiest option. :lol:
  • Lig
    Lig Posts: 178
    I have found chains often 'creak', if its old, replace it, if not give it a good degreasing and then a really good oil!!

Lig.
  • Thanks Lig. I've dismantled and re lubed the bottom bracket. I'm off to work shortly so see how that goes. The chain is about one year old. Don't know what the life span is for a chain (done about 3,500 k)but I must say it seems like the noise could be coming from there. But as jimmcdonnell said, bikes are ventriloquist's (not sure if I spelt that right). Cheers :lol:
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I have this same problem on both my bikes, including the new one. It only ever happens when I'm climbing out of the saddle. I had the bottom bracket replaced on the Winter bike, but the problem remains. It's driving me nuts! :evil:
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Check the headset and bearing race. Can creak when going up hilll or standing as the pulling on the handlebars causes it. It can sound like it's from the pedals / cranks, but actually from the headset. As you pull on one side of the handlebar when pushing a pedal down.

Worth a try.
    Mens agitat molem
  • Well after much huffing "n" puffing, re tightened up the pedals and bottom crank. Rode to work quieter than a stealth bomber......brill. Don't you love it when you can fix things without a massive garage bill...... Cars, who needs em, so glad I sold mine and anyway, I can always nick the Wifes although I do feel a tad silly in an IQ2. Looks like a washing machine.

Cheers.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Well after much huffing "n" puffing, re tightened up the pedals and bottom crank. Rode to work quieter than a stealth bomber......brill. Don't you love it when you can fix things without a massive garage bill...... Cars, who needs em, so glad I sold mine and anyway, I can always nick the Wifes although I do feel a tad silly in an IQ2. Looks like a washing machine.

Cheers.

What do you need to tighten the cranks? Is there a specific tool required?
  • What do you need to tighten the cranks? Is there a specific tool required?

I removed the pedal opposite side of the chain ring using allen keys for the pedals and mole grips for the (outer ring on the crank case). Put some grease in the cavity and re-assembled.I'm sure there's a technical name for the outer ring but I've no idea what it is. Frankly I don't care either because my bike is now quieter than a woman in a strop.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink: