Effect of a head cold?

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
Really disappointed with tonights 10 time in our club champs. Last week same course, windier conditions I did a 22:43, nicely coming into form for some big races. By Sunday evening I have a sore throat, this morning didn't feel great at all, throat is on fire. Managed to tame it during the day with some strepsils and a couple of pain killers at lunchtime, but tonight I was over 45s slower, when most otrhers were slightly faster...can a cold virus make this much difference? Nothing hurt, legs felt ok just a bit weak, breathing was very laboured, and just couldn't get on top of the gear.

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well for starters, why were you even riding?

I got a head cold the day after a TT, it turned into a chest cold, I was off the bike for 9 days.
  • Because its just started, and it was our club 10 champs - only happens once a year and a "target" event!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I think the fitter you get the more susceptible to colds you become. It's possible your bronchial tubes might have a slight inflammation preventing a full breath. Then there's all those anti-bodies in the system fighting the virus. I think the body's natural defense system is to slow down and save energy to fight the cold. So, 45 secs slower in that condition is excellent IMO.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    That's just bad timing, mate.
    Sod's Law... Just when it's all coming on form...

Stick at it... Your cold will pass, and the form will return, but you'll have to wait until next year to challenge for the laurels within the club!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!