evans cycles rip off of the century

cody44
cody44 Posts: 5
edited June 2010 in MTB general
this shop charges £12.50 for fitting a bottle cage, what do you guys and girls think of that one then?

Comments

• ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    why were you getting them to fit a bottle cage??
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    cody44 wrote:
    this shop charges £12.50 for fitting a bottle cage, what do you guys and girls think of that one then?

I think they have a long list on the wall outlining all your prices.

That's like telling us petrol station in motorway services are expensive...

If you can't read, i have little sympathy.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it's because it's a rubbish job that is really really really really easy, so they put the price way up to avoid cluttering the workshop up with bottle cage jobs.

The few they have left turn a tidy little profit.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    im sure its just a minimum service charge , if they fitted sevaral every day ,that'd be a big chunk of money to loose out on.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It seems £12.50 is the minimum charge for anything.

I also wouldn't mind betting that if you were a little old lady who couldn't do it herself someone there would just pop it on.

Contrary to what a lot of people think I've always found the Evans I go in to very helpful, knowledgeable and well stocked. Not saying there all like that, but the ones in London seem to be.
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    Did you get them to fit one for you - or are you just commenting after seeing a price on the wall??

If you got them to fit it for you ....... did you not ask how much FIRST ..... in which case you have a choice whether to pay it or not .... ??

If you found yourself with a bill after the event - then it's a valuable lesson and might be glad you learnt it for only £12.50 - could have cost you far more if it was car related at some point !
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    it's because it's a rubbish job that is really really really really easy, so they put the price way up to avoid cluttering the workshop up with bottle cage jobs.

The few they have left turn a tidy little profit.

Spot on! The number of 'could you just...' jobs you get hounded with nothing would ever get done, that's a good way to avoid people asking, or if they're really desperate/stupid then you're not giving up workshop time.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    And of course you have to do them or you risk leaving a negative image, it's a real pain because you don't really feel you can do these things for minimum labour etc. but you don't want to be doing them for free either.
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    I think you are an idiot who joined just to post that. What was the real reason you tried to have a go at Evans? What kind of fool would get a bottle cage fitted?
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    TowerRider wrote:
    I think you are an idiot who joined just to post that. What was the real reason you tried to have a go at Evans? What kind of fool would get a bottle cage fitted?

one with a new bike and no tools :wink:
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • BigAirNig
    Would have been cheaper to buy an allen key, than pay for that to be put on for you !! .... plus could have re-used the tool !
  • BigAirNig
    Would have been cheaper to buy an allen key, than pay for that to be put on for you !! .... plus could have re-used the tool !
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Nothing wrong with it, if someone's that inept they can't fit a bottle cage they deserve to be charged stupid amounts to do it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is also why quite a few shops charge a lot for replacing. Often the main workshop job, and having 20 to do when you get in in a morning is a bugger lol.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    I've noticed a lot of 'all the gear, no idea' folk over the last couple of years, many of them seem to be related to C2W schemes..riding their £1000 Boardman's and Speciazed's etc..and have ignored many of them whilst out on the trail as they are looking bewildered at their flat tyre. Learn the basics FFS..rant over.
  • two bolts out... two bolts in...

12.50 please...

If you cant fit a water bottle then IT SERVES YOU RIGHT YOU ALLEN KEY LESS MORON HOLE
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Damn, I would have only charged a tenner :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    As many others have said, there has to be a minimum charge for stupid little jobs. If I remember correctly, target labour rate to ensure overheads are met (tools, consumables, wages etc) needs to be in the region of £35-50/hr, so taking a 15-20 minute timescale to get the packaging open, bolts on/off the bike, fit, book in the job and then call the client to let them know it's done suddenly doesn't seem unreasonable.

:D
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    If you were buying a bike at the same time, I bet they'd fit it for free.
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    they built my yeti 575 up for free in the metro centre gateshead store i did spend a small fortune on bits as well though , they also made a complete balls of the sale of a stumpy ht for me and for that i`ve never gone back into the place
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    two bolts out... two bolts in...

12.50 please...

If you cant fit a water bottle then IT SERVES YOU RIGHT YOU ALLEN KEY LESS MORON HOLE

where in his post does it say he couldn't fit a water bottle? maybe he just saw the sign on the wall, or maybe he was buying a new bike and asked them to fit it while they built it up....and maybe you could ask for more information from the op before making such insulting comments....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    hyperman wrote:

12.50 please...

where in his post does it say he couldn't fit a water bottle? maybe he just saw the sign on the wall, or maybe he was buying a new bike and asked them to fit it while they built it up....and maybe you could ask for more information from the op before making such insulting comments....

Title seems a bit over the top - Rip off of the century? Get real. Stupid statement to make in the first place.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    I like my local Evans, they don't treat me like a fool with too much money. I saved up for over a year to buy the bike I wanted :) other places just berated me and told me what they thought I should buy.

Today I was enquiring the cost for Evans to fit a new brake system, just to see. I'll probbaly fit it myself then end up taking it in to be fixed :) they asked if it was pre bled etc and said it'll be maybe £20.
    I rang another LBS and was asked which brakes they were, I said Avid Elixir R, they are pre bled. To which I got an oh dear tut from the guy there! Not in a cheeky joking manner either, I honestly couldn't believe it. I hung up thinking huh? SOmething wrong with avid brakes?
    Well I won't be going there!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    cody44 wrote:

Your maiden post and it's a meaningless rant! Pfft, MTFU buy some hex wrenches and do it yourself. If you're incapable of fitting a bottle cage you shouldn't be allowed to wash a bike, never mind own one
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    hyperman wrote:

12.50 please...

In the same context, the reply may not have been aimed at the OP. 'You' could be a generalisation.

Moron hole though lol.
  • cody44
    cody44 Posts: 5
    just to put the record straight i never asked evans to fit a bottle cage! i do all my own maintanence on my own bike i was merely passing a comment on their rip off prices for example £30 for changing a rear wheel on a brompton. i would not buy anything at their shops because their mail order system is crap and they are 40 per cent dearer on many things compared to chain reaction and merlin and wiggle who are in a different league when it comes down to prices and delivery on mail order. i ordered some pedals from chain reaction at 2pm on friday afternoon and they were delivered at 10 am on saturday morning and that was from a shop based in ireland. superb service and £25 cheaper than evans for an identical product, no prizes for guessing why these three shops get all my custom.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Perhaps you should start taking the medication again.
    And get a new keyboard - seem to have lost CAPS.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • scrumpydave
    scrumpydave Posts: 143
    I'm very happy with the Evans in York. They've done lots of jobs for free on my bike when they haven't been busy. A mate of mine popped in for a bottle cage a couple of weeks ago, and as you would expect they were happy to fit it for free there and then.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Put yourself in Evans positions for a minute:

You run a high street shop with huge overheads, a fair few staff & hold thousands of pounds worth of stock at any one time.

How much would you charge to fit a water bottle?
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    And brompton rear wheels are normally hub geared and drum breaks, so take alot longer than a ''normal'' wheel

Jon
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin