Advice sought: NOVICE Route etc (Frome-Corsham)

Ghyllfoot
Ghyllfoot Posts: 4
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
Good afternoon, having just signed up I am after some advice please.

I reside in Frome (Somerset) and am soon to be working in Corsham (Wiltshire) which are between 18 and 25 miles apart depending on the route chosen.

I am planning on taking up cycling to work and back, to begin with, 1 day a week but over time increasing to perhaps 2 or 3 days.

The problem I have is that the route between Frome to at least halfway on the road is very dangerous (Rode - Bradford on Avon). So I am seeking a route if possbile.

I have tried sustrans.org but they don't appear very helpful mentioning National Route 25 and 254 but I am unsure if this is suitable or even possible.

Could anyone advise me of a workable route (the hills will kill me but at 43 and overweight something else will probably do that first) ;o).

BTW, do you think at 43 and 3 stone overweight this is a realistic approach? Also, how long should the journey roughly take, perhaps 2 hours?

The two postcodes are BA11 1FW and SN13 9NR (BA11 1FW is a new build and may not always be found so 50 yards away is an established postcode of BA11 1JF).

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions and thank you for taking the time to read this and even, perhaps reply.

Thank you.

Ghyllfoot

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Bike Route Toaster is your friend :P

Here is a rough route I created for Frome to Corsham

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=148757

Should take about an hour at 16mph.

Edit:- It is supposed to pick bike friendly routes and from the map it looks okay but you say the Rode - Bradford on Avon part is dangerous. I will bow to local knowledge :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Ghyllfoot
    Daviesee, many thanks, off to have a good look

Your help is very much appreciated, cheers
  • Ghyllfoot
    daviesee wrote:

Edit:- It is supposed to pick bike friendly routes and from the map it looks okay but you say the Rode - Bradford on Avon part is dangerous. I will bow to local knowledge :oops:

...that is the 254 and 25 route that sustrans suggested, isn't a problem once at BoA but death defying prior to that on the "mad mile" ;o)

Thanks again, I shall need to consider it in any case I guess