Which bike, can't decide

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2010 in The Crudcatcher
I have a little money to spend, and I'm looking for a mountain bike.
I like to ride along towpaths and country lanes, and some of these have some drains and some large gravel on them. Some of them even have speed bumps :shock:
so I was thinking a full suspension bike is needed.

I also like doing some slopestyle and Xtrem DH, but nothing too dangerous. Probably nothing worse than the slight hill towards McDonalds.

But I can't make my mind up between these two...
Muddy Fox
or
Scott something

Now, the first bike has better gears, twice as good it seems, and alloy wheels.
It also has a front suspension fork, whereas the other has a "rebadj(ed?)" fork, apparently.
Do you think I should go for the Muddy Fox, or is it worth spending the extra?

Please help.

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    I believe either would be more than suitable for gnarly hardcore (or gnarcore if you so wish) slopestylez. Possibly even made with the intention of jumping out of helicoptors riding it with no parachuting and wheelying over a line of sharks.
  • Anonymous
    well, the mudy fox has upswept handlebars, so that should help
  • Anonymous
    Well, tartanyak, that's waht I was thinking. They do both have dull suspension. But is the Scott worth a little more than the Muddyfox?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I can't see the links, does the muddy fox have a disc drive wheel? They're well wicked.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Both links go to the Muddy Fox so go for that :lol:
  • Anonymous
    you think it's a freudian slip?
  • Tartanyak
    According to your links, there's almost no discernable different between that and the muddy fox... :lol:

Looking at the independent reviews for the Muddy fox, I don't see how anyone could argue with this in depth essay on its finer point.

LINDA, WOLVERHAMPTON

Good Points
    VERY NICE LOOKING BIKE. HIGH NUMBER OF GEARS. DUAL SUSPENSION.
    Bad Points
    CANNOT ADJUST THE BRAKES CORRECTLY

How fast would you go with brakes that don't work?
  • Anonymous
    Ok Ok, linky fixed. It was my adoration of the muddyfox that made me mess it up. I was just too excited, dammit.
  • Tartanyak
    Barely any difference, but let's see:

The muddy fox is made of thinner stuff, so it's bound to be lighter and faster. It's also got boots over the fork legs, so it'll keep the mud out better. It's got a guard to stop your shell suit getting trapped in the chain. Many more gears. Lightweight plastic pedals. You can turn the bars without the forky leg bits getting in the way.

Plus, you get clubcard points.

No contest really.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Definatly the Muddy Fox.

The Scott just doesn't look like it will handle the radness of the road to McD's :lol:
  • Tartanyak
    Plus, which would get you more 'How much did that cost you mate?' eh?
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, I guess flipwhips would be all but impossible on the scott, with it's crappy "motorcycle-esque" forks.
  • Tartanyak
    Al that suspensions on the Scott will make the biznatch-attracting wheelies harder.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    OH EM GEE! You are paying like £1,850 for bigger tyres and a smaller saddle! Those lol-noobs who ride in the forest are being right ripped off.

o, yer muddyfox looks well wicked, can I avago?
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Tesco and muddy fox made me think of this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 27627.html
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • Anonymous
    Tesco and muddy fox made me think of this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 27627.html
    :lol: that's just insane!
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    base from what you said, i would choose the Scott. you also need a full face helmet and full body protection because from experience, cycling near McD is really dangerous and should not be attempt unless you are 100% prepared.

the extra money is worth it (for the bike as well as all the gears and stuff) and your bike will last at least 2 mins long than the muddy fox around the McD area.

:lol:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Anonymous
    It's also just occured to me that the muddyfox is currently at HALF PRICE! WOW.
    So much better value than the other one.