Other trails - when can I ride them?

Quirrel
Quirrel Posts: 235
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
If I'm in a forest in England and I see a track going from the marked blue,red,green,black route into the trees that has obviously been used by others. Am I allowed to use it or is it against the forestry commission rules?

Comments

• barcanova
    barcanova Posts: 12
    I was put in this exact scenario off the Blue Route in Thetford Forrest earlier this year, Ive been riding said newly discovered trails ever since.......the only issue I got is that they are not managed and the bloody nettles are now taking over the trail!! But its still awesome!
    Yeti ASR 5
    Rocky Mountain Element 50
    Marin East Peak
    GT Bravado LE (In a coma)
    Kona Cinder Code (RIP)
    Raleigh Mirage (RIP)
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    yes unless it is a marked a footpath, then people get grumpy.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Quirrel
    Quirrel Posts: 235
    Cheers
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    footpath issues are generally not an issue.

'hey this is a footpath'

"really, dammit I must be lost, I am supposed to be on this, can you help?"

works every time =-)

For the haters out there:

1: I am not going to read your responses
    2: I only ride on terrain that will not be damaged, in the dry and yield to all other users.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    In strict terms, no you cannot ride a wild track.

In some cases the FC turn a blind eye as there's not a lot they can do, except erect No Cycling signs everywhere.

What you also have to remember is that a lot of FC land is open access, but this is to walkers only. Cyclists don't have open access rights which I think is a shame.

This only applies in England and Wales, Scotland has different open access rights in where cyclists are allowed to enjoy the same paths and trails that everyone else has access to, unless otherwise signposted.

That's the legal standpoint, whether I think you should ride them, that's up to you to decide. :)
    Craig Rogers
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    x-isle wrote:
    you cannot ride a wild track...the FC turn a blind eye as there's not a lot they can do, except erect No Cycling signs everywhere.
    Or dig it up :)