What stem length on your Anthem X's?

neninja
neninja Posts: 424
edited June 2010 in MTB general
As the title really.

I've currently got a 100mm stem with 610mm wide low riser bars on my Anthem X.

I've now got a set of 685mm low riser bars and was wondering if a 70 or 80mm stem might work better with them for downhill sections as I'm not suffering unduly with the front lifting on climbs.

Comments

• Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    I replaced the stock 120mm stem on my XL sized frame for a 90mm. I'm 6' 4" and 120mm is just stupidly long IMO.

I guess nobody can really tell you what stem length to put on - it's definitely something you need to try out and decide yourself really. I still can't work out why bikes shops, such as Giant dealers, can't hold a stock of varying Giant stems and then build the bike to the customer's specific requirements?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I have a 90mm on my anthem x.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    Thanks - I need to get a few cheap stems and have a play. I was just wanting to get a feel for what worked for other Anthem X riders.

I'm 5ft 7 on a small (16") frame which feels perfect for me size wise with the current set up (100mm 5deg stem with low rise bars)

But have read so much about trying wider bars with a shorter angled stem for more assured descending and wondered if other Anthem riders have taken this step.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Try out Giant's own 'Connect' stems, which come as stock on the 2010 X range. They're pretty cheap in comparison to the 'big names'. Think I got mine on the Winstanleys website.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    100mm stem with 660mm riser bar. Seems fine for me - could go a little shorter but as its comfortable there's no real need to change it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Went down to an 80mm Exotic stem on my X... a bit twitchy on the ups now, but nice and precise through the turns..

Worth experimenting with for the £13 they cost too..