SRAM or Shimano/SRAM mix (swap shifters)

BMX Bear
BMX Bear Posts: 198
edited July 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm the lucky owner of a nice new Cannondale Six frame but I have a dilemma.

I want to fit a SRAM Force BB30 chainset - so do I do this I'll keep my Dura Ace 7800 shifters and mechs
or
swap/sell my Dura Ace shifters and mech for SRAM Force shifters mechs so all the kit matches.

My DA gear is all fairly new so should be easy to sell or swap.

Should I mix Shimano & SRAM or will I go straight to hell...

Help me please!

Update - I will swap my DA 7800 levers/shifters for some SRAM Force
www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you can pretty much use any chainset you like

I run a SRAM Red with a Shimano drivetrain without any issues.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I saw a cannondale branded SRAM red chainset that could solve your branding issues.

It's up to you at the end of the day though.

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't swap 7800 for force. It's flimsier, clunkier, noisier, less comfortable and less functional IMO. I have a bike kitted out with each.
  • maddog 2
    7800 is not BB30 though
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • BMX Bear
    I think I'll plump for changing the chainset only then, keep the rest 7800.
    Especially if Force shifting isn't as sharp as the Dura Ace.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    sram isnt that smooth or quiet but it is fast and accurate.
  • is sram and shimano entirely compatible? i as toying with the same sort of thing, i need new shifters and am currently running a shimano groupset, but was thinking about replacing the shifters with sram, would this work?
  • maddog 2
    No

You need shifters and mechs from the same company.

You can mix cassettes about, and chainsets, and brakes (with the odd exception). Front mechs can also be tweaked to work too.
  • rake
    is sram and shimano entirely compatible? i as toying with the same sort of thing, i need new shifters and am currently running a shimano groupset, but was thinking about replacing the shifters with sram, would this work?
    sram shifters have whats called a 1:1 cable pull ratio which is different from shimano. for that reason the derailers have to work on the same cable pull ratio for the indexing to match up. as long as you have sram mechs and levers it doesnt matter weather they are rival, force or red. chains, chainsets and rear cassettes are the same spacing standards and interchangeable with shimano. my bike runs rival shifters , mechs and chainset with shimano 105 chain and cassette as standard spec.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    FWIW - Sram Force is much better and nicer and more comfy than your Dura Ace 7800 stuff. (Force 2010).

I made the change from Dura Ace to Sram years ago and have never looked back.

It's your choice of course, but if it were me I'd have all my stuff matching as much as possible - especially if it means using Sram over DA!
  • rake
    interesting. i have allways wondered what top line dura ace is like so its informative to hear i havent gone wrong with rival which i really like although being lower rival. i like the shorter throw of the levers and seems to change faster. the levers look better less bulky imo and prefere the feel narrower grip on sram. is there much difference in force shifting.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I'll swap you your nearly new dura ace for my nearly new 2010 force/red, if you feel like making the change.
  • BMX Bear
    Evil - you have PM