Switching from SPD's to flats...

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Since everyone posts about switching from flats to SPD's, I thought I'd give you the alternative! I switched them back for an experiment as I was going to be sessioning some more difficult stuff and I thought I'd be more confident...

WRONG!

My feet now slip around all over the place when I wear flats. I know that is because my technique has got lazy and gone to pot but I changed back as quick as I could!

Just a warning for others who are considering the 'other side'.

Queue argument on which is best. Personally I don't care :roll: Horses for courses and all that jazz...

James

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Neither is best, only what suits you best.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I tried flats the other day too...I sucked. SPD's 4tw :)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'd ride SPD's but the sort of technical stuff i do doesn't lend itself well to being stuck to a pedal.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Meh, I use both. Genral XC, Trail Centres, etc done in SPDs.
    Proper DH, DJ and commuting on flats.
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    Meh, I use both. General XC, Trail Centres, etc done in SPDs.
    Proper DH, DJ and commuting on flats.

+1 for this approach, pedal spanner and spare set of flats/spds live in car permanently nowadays that way i have the best of both worlds available.
  • CraziScot
    CraziScot Posts: 66
    slimboyjim wrote:
    Since everyone posts about switching from flats to SPD's, I thought I'd give you the alternative! I switched them back for an experiment as I was going to be sessioning some more difficult stuff and I thought I'd be more confident...

WRONG!

My feet now slip around all over the place when I wear flats. I know that is because my technique has got lazy and gone to pot but I changed back as quick as I could!

Queue argument on which is best. Personally I don't care :roll: Horses for courses and all that jazz...

James

Snap, had to do this twice in the last few months for one reason or another. I hate it, feel so uneasy and uncomfortable, let alone that my knee and ankle pain has returned on flats!!!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you stick with it and get your footwork back up to scratch on the flats you'll most likely find benefits transfer back over to SPDs. People who ride on both tend to pick up benefits from each that they can use with the other. But pretty much every flat user hates spds on the first ride with them and vice versa because it's like learning to walk again.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    recently done a trail centre in Spd's for the first time after riding it on flats 3 times previous and much prefer being strapped in. going over roots etc your feet stay well planted and jumps and hops are easier to control.

anyone find Spd's force you to learn abit more balance as you cannot just put your feet down all the time?
  • Clum84
    Clum84 Posts: 196
    Yup, I did the same recently and uncovered all the bad technique I've picked up. Feet were getting bucked off the pedals over every bump and trying to jump/hop has become a mission!

Think I'll stick with them for a bit though as it should improve my riding all around.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    slimboyjim wrote:

WRONG!

James

Kind of obvious that your going to notice that your feet aren't stuck to the pedals when switching back from spd's!

Why do you feel you need to warn others when its pretty obvious theres a difference? :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    tony620 wrote:
    anyone find Spd's force you to learn abit more balance as you cannot just put your feet down all the time?

Well, yep. But then that's something not everyone needs to be forced to do ;) Most people riding on flats don't just put their feet down all the time after all.

The flip side of course is that a lot of people find it harder to get themselves into tricky features when clipped in because they don't feel so able to escape. Bit of both really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • slimboyjim
    gonga wrote:
    Kind of obvious that your going to notice that your feet aren't stuck to the pedals when switching back from spd's!

Why do you feel you need to warn others when its pretty obvious theres a difference? :D

:lol: I know - just thought I'd chuck it in as an observation with all the usual 'should I change to SPD's from flats' arguments that pop up weekly!

I'm sure I'll keep switching them up as I can only benefit long term like Clum said...
  • What flats did you use?
  • slimboyjim
    I've got some v8's with Van's shoes. When I first got them I was amazed at how grippy they were so it was a bit of a shock to say the least, but then anything will move compared to an SPD!

(whispers quietly)
    It's not the shoes/pedals but my lost technique that is to blame really :oops:

Using them I had to concentrate REALLY hard to dip my heels and looked a right lemon trying to bunny hop! Like I said though, it's been good to switch back even briefly as I now conciously try to improve my foot position when back in SPD's.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Flats feel really weird after years on SPDs.

It's not so much a grip issue it's more of a foot placement thing. Just can't get comfortable with flats.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I use both, but for technical stuff flats for me every time. My feet never come off the pedals due to, what i like to think, is pretty good pedalling technique.

That said i've got boxes and boxes of spare pedals of both kinds at home :roll: