Xtr quality lacking?

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I feel with the newer xtr gear shimano has gone too far, both in stripping weight and in the cheapness of components, i still have some old xtr gear still going strong and it feels totally bulletproof and has remained solid, it even feels lovely when handled.

Yet i find the current crop very meh, i only like the rm and chainset everything else feels 'cheap' to me.

Anyone else think shimano have gone very profit orientated this time around?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    What do you mean by this time around?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Considering new xtr isn't out yet, you can't really comment on it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are XC race components - they are designed to be light which can effect longevity. And is a lot lighter than the 90s stuff.

The new range will have 2 halves, a trail range and xc
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    XTR's always been pitched as a 'wider' audience than say XX, which was pitched very squarely at XC racers. I'm really struggling to think of anything where the quality has suffered over their old stuff, the only part I can think of is the front mech, the M952 E-type ones had a carbon plate, and the top-swing ones had a parallelogram type linkage which was very nice, they were also lighter than any of the current Shimano ones, however, they were also more expensive, even going back 10 years.

The relative price of XTR has dropped, as has the weight, and it's not exactly quick wearing, so I'd say no, the quality hasn't decreased!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    XTR hasn't always been so silidly linked to XC racing though. Several pro DHers used to ride XTR cranks, shifters etc as well.
  • supersonic
    They used to, but weren't officially designed to be. The group has always been aimed at XC really, though they mentioned the 'all mountain' phrase for 2007 lol.

2011will see a clear split.
  • Anonymous
    yeah, fair enough, but what I mean is, their strength/toughness was also legendary.
    I'm thinking that maybe since the Saint range was introduced to be virtually indestructible, maybe they're going to focus on making the XTR range lighter and lighter?
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Thanks guys...Thanks a flipin lot!

Just as I'm about to get some cash, and buy at least "1 token XTR bit" - never had one b4 - and theres this! LOL!

Right...Plan B.
  • njee20
    All the documentation appears to show the only difference as a double chainset for the 'XC' group, with slightly odd ratios, vs a triple for the 'trail' groupset.

Would rather use Shimano stuff, but from what I've seen so far they seem wide of the mark.
  • supersonic
    I think the problem manufacturers have now, where we have more than what was just XC with very similar bikes years ago, is when they design a new groupset - they have to make it new, but worse than the next one up. And when adding weight can make parts actually stronger we are going to end up with sosme lower down cheap bits being very good for hard hitting bikes.

We are very used to an order of quality ie altus, acera all the way upto XTR. The lines are more blurred now.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Only XTR kit I use is the cables and cranks but the cranks have done nothing to suggest a lack of strength and durability.

The other thing is, feeling cheap doesn't mean it's cheaply or poorly made.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I never understand why anyone would buy XTR kit in the first place when u can buy XT for half the price and it gives u 95% the performance of XTR.

Sure if ur a sponsored team rider and u dont have to buy ur own kit then why not, for us mere mortals though i would always say XT is more than good enough.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    You do realise that the extra letter makes you faster don't you?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • njee20
    I never understand why anyone would buy XTR kit in the first place when u can buy XT for half the price and it gives u 95% the performance of XTR.

Because that 5% is worth it to some?

I reckon it's just as widely used away from racing frankly, plenty of decent riders racing on XT!
  • Northwind
    You do realise that the extra letter makes you faster don't you?

Especially as it's an R.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    It did originally stand for XT Race, maybe if it actually said race then it would definitely be faster. Needs some red stripes, or flames too.
  • Northwind
    What do the X and the T stand for?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    That I forget!
  • Anonymous
    Xperimental Technology :lol:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    XTR = Xtra Time Required, at work, to pay for it???