Commencal NUTS5 custom HT

nickfrog
nickfrog Posts: 610
edited June 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Recently finished this project, put together using my old XTR M950, ebay sourced fork and frame and only new parts being the SLX brakes, MT65 wheels and cockpit/post.
Approximate cost £1,000. 23 lbs exactly.

2im7qz8.jpg
a5ddp1.jpg
qybh9h.jpg
23uves8.jpg
29bhchd.jpg
15fjdww.jpg
2wntqmw.jpg
2qm2k3p.jpg
2zsupz9.jpg

Comments

• 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    oh my, my pants are now very damp :oops:

beautiful, actually stunning. i'm in love.
    Fancy a brew?
  • nickfrog
    Thanks. Not so clean though now. It's proving to be a quick bike. Way ahead of the big travel monstrosities I ride with like Stumpys FSR etc, both uphill of course but also through technical single tracks or downhill as it is very agile and much more responsive.

wcbh50.jpg
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    That is one nice looking bike. And it's hella muddy in that last pic! Good work :wink:
  • Robowns
    Robowns Posts: 74
    Not a huge fan of hardtails, but this ones pukka
  • nice bike :)
    i had that bike-well strictly speaking i still do- when commencal used that frame on the supernormals.
    but just found out my drive side chainstay is cracked- probably been the source of noise for last year or so but taken till now to locate:P
    nice bike lovely frames and got some good kit on it
    happy riding
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I don't know what it is about your bike, but it's absolutely gorgeous. More so than other white bikes (including my Fury :p)
  • WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT!?

to be honest? not a clue:P basically its got a crack beside the chainstay weld so im assuming i either had a fault in the frame or maybe over the year just to much for my poor bike to handle:P
    but its a beautiful bike and there a dream to ride, so happy riding:)
    ps shop i bought it from are getting in touch with commencal so we will se how it goes:P
  • nickfrog
    Very scary about the the crack. Mine is still intact, fingers crossed.
    The bike has changed a bit since the pics early this year.
    It's now 1x9 and with some other upgrade, it's around 22lbs without compromise on solidity (well hopefully). Will post updated pics soon.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Very nice, especially for the £1000 outlay!
    Good to see someone else repping 1x9, it's the way forward, IMO!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nickfrog
    +1. I can't understand the need for more than 1 ring, particularly with 10 speed now, unless you go on the road a lot, in which case it's not really mountain-biking, is it?
  • ilovedirt
    Aye, i only ever used my big ring on the road, and as i don't enjoy road riding, there was no point keeping it! I can see why a lot of people would have a granny ring, not everyone is fit enough to just run a single ring, and it can be convenient, but i prefer not to have one, i like to keep my rig relatively simple.

What chain retention system have you gone for?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nickfrog
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Aye, i only ever used my big ring on the road, and as i don't enjoy road riding, there was no point keeping it! I can see why a lot of people would have a granny ring, not everyone is fit enough to just run a single ring, and it can be convenient, but i prefer not to have one, i like to keep my rig relatively simple.

What chain retention system have you gone for?

Chain retention = I have agonised so much as which one to get that I ended up fitting none whatsoever and I still have not dropped the chain. What helps is that I have a fairly short cage rear mech, a short chain and a plain non-ramped ring.

As for the need for a granny, I still have one!!!! I went for 29t single ring which I know is ridiculously small but I have crunched the numbers so that I could almost replicate the gears I used to use with the triple (as in 2 cogs with granny and 8 with middle ring). 29t gave me exactly that bar the smallest gear (granny 24t and 32t) with a 11-34 but if I switch to 10 speed 11-36 then I will gain yet another half gear at the bottom end.
    At the top end, I am missing half a gear so I do spin occasionnaly but I find gravity helps!
  • ilovedirt
    Fair enough! I'm running a 36t at the front, it's a good workout ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nickfrog
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Fair enough! I'm running a 36t at the front, it's a good workout ;)

I am fat and old.