Replacing an inner-tube quickly during a sportive

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited July 2010 in Amateur race
I've had a few sportives ruined by punctures. I get into a nice group doing a decent pace that will see me do a good time if I hang in and finish with them and then I get a puncture.

I seem to really struggle getting the last bit of tyre bead back onto the rim.

Took me ages on Sunday and I ended up finishing the rest of the ride by myself as I was faster than the following group but could not catch the group ahead :(

I am riding with continental sport contact tyres (28mm on a tricross sport) that i really like as i feel confident on them and can take corners very fast meaning I often catch and pass a lot of people on descents.

Wondering if I should get some metal tyre levers instead of the plastic Park ones I currently have.

How quickly can you replace a rear tube in a sportive? What are your tips for getting the task done quickly?

Cheers!

Comments

• My clubmate swears by VAR levers for tight beads:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp? ... rc=froogle

I'm tempted myself as it can be a bit of a wrestling match with Campag rims.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    you'd be better off asking in the sportive forum - changing tubes during a race is not really viable.....
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Get a speed lever:
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=T5105

A doddle to use, saves split skin on your thumbs and packs away small.

Have discarded all my plastic and metal tyres levers.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    NervexProf wrote:
    Get a speed lever:

Nervex, how exactly does it work, it says its telescopic?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    NervexProf wrote:
    Get a speed lever:

Nervex, how exactly does it work, it says its telescopic?

Yes the lever is telescopic - one end fits over the axle of the wheel.

You only need one!

Highly recommended.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    curium wrote:
    I've had a few sportives ruined by punctures.

I am riding with continental sport contact tyres (28mm on a tricross sport)

Invest in some decent more suitable tyres if its a common issue, then you will not puncture as often...
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    curium wrote:

Invest in some decent more suitable tyres if its a common issue, then you will not puncture as often...

That was very restrained. I was expecting you to say something like "who cares about their time in a glorified club run? Want a time that means something? Get down your local time trial." :wink:
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Hibbs wrote:
    curium wrote:

That was very restrained. I was expecting you to say something like "who cares about their time in a glorified club run? Want a time that means something? Get down your local time trial." :wink:

A good observation - I made sure i had 9 pints of bitter last night and three weetabix this morning - alas i'm feeling all chilled out
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Bit random but watch this video and practice

http://www.notubes.com/movieztr.php

You don't need the tubeless bit just the bit about getting the tyre on the rim

I went from struggling to being able to get most tyres on with my fingers.

The other thing is to look a your tyres. I find folding easier than wire and some brand tyres are easier with different rims. I can only say for certain about mtb tyres, not road.

Finally, whay are you getting puctures? I've had less than 5 in 4 years. Run sturdier tyres, tubes or just change them as old ones seem t perform worse than new.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Conti Sport Contacts should be plenty sturdy enough shouldn't they? Unless they're getting pretty worn (or at totally the wrong pressure) you shouldn't be puncturing regularly on a tyre like that.

1) What sort of mileage do they have on them, more than 2,500 and you might be better off replacing them.

2) What PSI are you running them at, what do you weigh and how often do you top them up?
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Conti Sport Contacts should be plenty sturdy enough shouldn't they? Unless they're getting pretty worn (or at totally the wrong pressure) you shouldn't be puncturing regularly on a tyre like that.

1) What sort of mileage do they have on them, more than 2,500 and you might be better off replacing them.

2) What PSI are you running them at, what do you weigh and how often do you top them up?
    The current rear was moved from the front after the previous rear wore through to the ply so it's done about 1500 miles in total. About 400-500 miles of this was done on the rear of the bike.

I pump them to approx 100 PSI and I weigh 88 kg.

What's the verdict doc?
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Thinner rim tape will help get the tire on easier.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Try some different tyres if you puncture regularly on them. Why would you carry on with them.

That said, if you've had all this practice you should be getting quick at swapping tubes by now :)

I agree fabric rim tape will help, consider doing a search to find a tyre which is bit looser fit for your rim, will make changes quicker, but let's face it if you puncture in a group you're unlikely to change a tube quick enough to get back on the same group unless you were riding well within yourself... oh its a sportive so may be ;)
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    don't use levers to put the tyre back on. that's a surefire way to more punctures...
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    NervexProf wrote:
    Get a speed lever:

I have had no success with the Speedlever - it will not push the tyre on when it becomes tight. Would like to try the VAR if I could buy one locally.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Just a thought. How much pressure are you putting in your tyres? You maybe just need to put more air in them.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Sorry why is this question in the race section?

Sportives aren't races
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • dulldave
    Sorry why is this question in the race section?

Sportives aren't races

Perhaps he asked it here to get the knowledge from amateur racers? or maybe so that people could get all snobby about sportives not being races :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Or even factual that they aren't races - if they were races they'd have to limit their fields and go through all the other issues that make life hard to organise races on the road :wink:
  • dulldave
    factual and snobby are not mutually exclusive :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

Sportives aren't races

I disagree. Anytime 2 or more riders get together it's a race. :wink::wink:
    Someone will be out to prove he's the fastest.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A sportif isnt a race - despite what some people think.

Get decent tyres - you shouldnt puncture that often - something is wrong.

I swear by Conti GP4000s - then theres no need to worry about what tyre lever (which would only save you seconds anyway)

Pump up to 95PSI or so and you're away.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    dennisn wrote:

Sportives aren't races

Normally someone who hasn't got the balls to enter proper races
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:

Sportives aren't races

Normally someone who hasn't got the balls to enter proper races

Absolutely. I see them all the time, showing off how fast they think they can go and how many people they can pass on a bike tour. Lots of them are decked out in Pro kit. But see them at a race? Never. Well, I shouldn't say never. Usually once, and they get blown out
    the back before the 2nd. turn. Somewhat like myself these days, only it's before the first turn for me.
  • dulldave
    There are plenty of people who do both. But it does seem that a lot of people approach sportives like they were a race. They may or may not have tried a proper race before.

This brings up a few points that have occurred to me this year:

- Some people pretend they're racing in sportives because it's not a real race so their true level will never be revealed
    - Racing at an entry level is very brutal and doesn't reward people who are coming to give it a shot.
    - Lots of people in races pull in, so their name isn't featured at the bottom of the results (so lots of newcomers do it too and never get better or never bother coming back)
    - Everyone in a sportive starts (at least) with the aim of finishing
    - There isn't an adequate transition between sportives and races (big gap unless you're uber-fit)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    dulldave wrote:
    There are plenty of people who do both. But it does seem that a lot of people approach sportives like they were a race. They may or may not have tried a proper race before.

This brings up a few points that have occurred to me this year:

- Some people pretend they're racing in sportives because it's not a real race so their true level will never be revealed
    - Racing at an entry level is very brutal and doesn't reward people who are coming to give it a shot.
    - Lots of people in races pull in, so their name isn't featured at the bottom of the results (so lots of newcomers do it too and never get better or never bother coming back)
    - Everyone in a sportive starts (at least) with the aim of finishing
    - There isn't an adequate transition between sportives and races (big gap unless you're uber-fit)

oh so true... but being stupid I do keep coming back ..
    races are - on the whole- lots cheaper and a much different beast of cycling to sportives... With the exception of a few sportive events which could be ridden like a long major tour stage ( i.e. no stopping for food or rests for a cuppa), I prefer the challenge of trying to race.
    if you are up to speed changing a tube, then a puncture should not impact too severely on a sportive imo. admittedly it is fairly annoying to get a puncture but not the end of the world
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    If you puncture just make a mental note of how long it took you to change and deduct it from your official time. As the times are only relevant to the individual due to it not being a race it should be sufficient knowing your "real" time.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    All this stuff about moaning that people don't do a pull at the front. Has anyone just tried sitting up and moving into the middle of the road - I'm sure the person behind you would have to go past and you could just get on his/her wheel...

That's what I'd do - but then, I'm not fussed about people "using" me as I'm riding the ride for me, not for anyone else. If I get in a group that works then great, if I don't, I'm riding the thing by myself for the ride, not the time (although that is interesting).

Re the OT - practice, practice, practice and I swear by having a pump and a co2 cannister.

Puncture, tyre off, inner tube switched, one side of tyre back on, little bit of air in tube with pump, other side of tyre on and CO2 - whoosh!

Not the worlds biggest GP4000 fan either - 2 punctures - 1 pinch, 1 flint... Probably just bad luck, but if you are riding to avoid punctures then there are better tyres imho....