2010 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    @velo: thanks, I have held steady at 2pcm so far this yr mostly attributable to the motivation that the table provides
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    31!!! Blimey. Might need to step up efforts a bit. Nice flat-ish loop to Windsor in the morning.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • timmyflash
    Ok, so i'm looking for some 'easy' points -

Does it count if you do 50km to get to work then 50km to get home? i.e. done in two sections on the same day. Or does that not count? The fact i'm asking makes me feel like i'm trying to pike some points.. ha

Fixeh
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    that came up before and the answer provided was no, that is two rides... a cake/cafe stop for an hour or so in a long ride is fine.
  • timmyflash
    Damn

Fixeh
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Did my longest ever ride on Tuesday, 128 kms, and I think the heat did for me rather than the distance. We weren't going at any great pace - able to easily hold a conversation - but my heart was pounding (relatively). Being a pale-faced pasty freckle-boy I was well-lathered up with suncream and I'm guessing this must have stopped me sweating and made the old ticker work harder. So the question I have is whether anyone can recommend any good long-sleeved light-coloured tops so I can keep the sun off my arms without bathing in sunblock and ending up boiling inside? Cheers.

PS - for those of you thinking 'get up at 0400 and ride'; well I'd love to but I doubt I'd be back in time for the nursery run :lol:
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    that came up before and the answer provided was no, that is two rides... a cake/cafe stop for an hour or so in a long ride is fine.

damn. i was going to ask the same question. can't we just call it a 'work stop'? I've now got a lovely 33km ride to work which in the recent weather and early sunrises has sometimes been stretched meaing 100km+ days in total. not that I've counted them, but if I could I'd be heading for the top of the league :wink:
  • timmyflash wrote:

Does it count if you do 50km to get to work then 50km to get home? i.e. done in two sections on the same day. Or does that not count? The fact i'm asking makes me feel like i'm trying to pike some points.. ha

I suppose if you can prove you were constantly supping and eating cake at work, to say no would be discriminatory :)
  • genki
    timmyflash wrote:

I suppose if you can prove you were constantly supping and eating cake at work, to say no would be discriminatory :)

My kit is still damp when I put it on again in the evening. Does that count?
  • I suppose that if we were talking about an Imperial 100 then the commute could be taken into consideration. But as 100k is little more than a 3/5 hour ride the stops shouldn't be more than a pit stop for necessities like Tea & Cake & a quick leak.
  • Hagrid
    Hagrid Posts: 22
    I am out. :( Bike stolen. :evil:
  • seward4or5
    seward4or5 Posts: 79
    Did my longest ever ride on Tuesday, 128 kms, and I think the heat did for me rather than the distance. We weren't going at any great pace - able to easily hold a conversation - but my heart was pounding (relatively). Being a pale-faced pasty freckle-boy I was well-lathered up with suncream and I'm guessing this must have stopped me sweating and made the old ticker work harder. So the question I have is whether anyone can recommend any good long-sleeved light-coloured tops so I can keep the sun off my arms without bathing in sunblock and ending up boiling inside? Cheers.

PS - for those of you thinking 'get up at 0400 and ride'; well I'd love to but I doubt I'd be back in time for the nursery run :lol:

Not strictly cycling gear but Canterbury do tight fitting base layers which you can wear under your other kit. There are two types, one designed to keeo you warm and the other cool (despite being long sleeved). http://www.canterbury.com/webapp/wcs/st ... ntPage%3D2
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Hagrid wrote:
    I am out. :( Bike stolen. :evil:

bummer! :(

On reflection, though, another good argument for having lots of bikes! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• velocitizen
    velocitizen Posts: 327
    July update, includes all posted June rides.
    Sorry to lose a few this month, especially Hagrid.

We want to see Genki's Marmotte photos.

Rider Points
    toontra 42
    Airwave 39
    daibhi 38
    Heaney 28
    genki 27
    lucky paddy 26
    bikergirl17 23
    infamous 22
    threelionsbrian 21
    redgreenbaron 19
    Big Ted 18
    Fuji Mackers 18
    Mad One 15
    capilinconnemara 14
    gbs 14
    pdstsp 13
    flix23 11
    pneumatic 9
    velocitizen 9
    Batch78 8
    leedsmjh 8
    timmyflash 8
    MikeEye 7
    Pollys Bott 6

Just re-read some of the questions/comments last month, for me a 100km ride is a 100km ride, a stop at a shop, for tea, for lunch, but a day at work is a bit of a longer break...Good training though!
    Expect the August update to be a bit late, holiday time.
    Enjoy July.

Velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • genki

We want to see Genki's Marmotte photos.

Well since you asked...

Up the Glandon -
    Glandon.jpg

The descent off the Galibier-
    GalibierDesc2.jpg

Heading up Alpe d'Huez -
    ADH.jpg

The finish -
    ADHFinish.jpg

7:27 for the whole day, or 6:59 according to the results where they neutralised the Glandon descent. 221st out of 5,200 finishers. The Metric Challange helped a lot in getting the training done.
  • velocitizen
    velocitizen Posts: 327
    Genki
    Can't think of a better way to get your July ride done.
    A great time for the ride as well.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    seward4or5 wrote:
    Not strictly cycling gear but Canterbury do tight fitting base layers which you can wear under your other kit. There are two types, one designed to keeo you warm and the other cool (despite being long sleeved). http://www.canterbury.com/webapp/wcs/st ... ntPage%3D2

Thanks for that, will probably try one of those. Cheers...

Serious question - how in God's name do people get out and do 4 / 5 / 6 centuries a month? Am I the only one here with a full time job and two young sprogs? :wink:
  • I missed out on whole of July and only back on the bike and it will be a while before I cover 100km again :cry:
    Thanks again Velo
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450

Serious question - how in God's name do people get out and do 4 / 5 / 6 centuries a month? Am I the only one here with a full time job and two young sprogs? :wink:

I am impresssed that you can carve out sufficient time for a single century each month!. Given that one needs 5 hours or so allowing for the ride, bike clean, shower, etc yr organisation/delgation skills must be v strong.

I guess it is no consolation but at the moment I can schedule my week around weather patterns. I work on freelance basis and only intermittently full time; most of my commitments/obligations can be adjusted so that I can maintain family, cyling and tennis activities so 4 centuries pcm are not difficult.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Surely we need a update for rides in July still? Anybody seen Velo?

In his absence I've been cheeky enough to put this list together, hopefully we'll hear from him soon for the almost due August list!

Rider Points
    toontra 51
    Airwave 45
    daibhi 41
    Heaney 33
    genki 29
    lucky paddy 28
    bikergirl17 27
    infamous 23
    threelionsbrian 24
    redgreenbaron 23
    Big Ted 28
    Fuji Mackers 22
    Mad One 17
    capilinconnemara 14
    gbs 18
    pdstsp 16
    flix23 14
    pneumatic 11
    velocitizen 9
    Batch78 9
    leedsmjh 10
    timmyflash 9
    MikeEye 8
    Pollys Bott 7

Capilinconnemara, can't see a July ride for you?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Nice one batch78. I think Velo siad he would be late updating due to holidays - nice to see someone filling in the role!. Some seriously impressive numbers in there.
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    Boo, I've failed. August has been and gone and I have managed a sum total of 33 miles through out the whole month. Holidays, music festivals, and house moving, mix they do not with cycling. :(
  • Batch78
    Grand stuff, thanks for updating, I did plan to update but holidays, riding and stuff got in the way, I'll update my rides and summarise August before the weekend.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • batch78
    No trouble at all, hope you had a good time!

One other thing I noticed, is there any reason In-gearjohn isn't included on your lists? He's posted 18 rides to date.

edit: He was on earlier lists just seems to have dropped off the one I copied.

And yes there are some serious figures now :shock:
  • September update on the challenge.

Airwave 57
    toontra 52
    daibhi 43
    Heaney 36
    Big Ted 34
    bikergirl17 34
    lucky paddy 33
    genki 32
    threelionsbrian 30
    redgreenbaron 26
    infamous 24
    Fuji Mackers 23
    gbs 23
    Mad One 21
    in-gearjohn 20
    pdstsp 19
    velocitizen 13
    pneumatic 12
    leedsmjh 11
    timmyflash 11
    Batch78 10
    MikeEye 9
    Pollys Bott 9

Great stuff, bring on Autumn.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • Haven't been on this list before so bit of a cheeky late entry, but I'm unlikely to ride this many centuries in a year again (>30 imperial centuries to date...most of which were in June/July riding the route of the TdF 2 weeks ahead of the pros). Promise, I've done at least one per month though to abide by the rules!

Airwave 57
    toontra 52
    gradiric 46
    daibhi 43
    Heaney 36
    Big Ted 34
    bikergirl17 34
    lucky paddy 33
    genki 32
    threelionsbrian 30
    redgreenbaron 26
    infamous 24
    Fuji Mackers 23
    gbs 23
    Mad One 21
    in-gearjohn 20
    pdstsp 19
    velocitizen 13
    pneumatic 12
    leedsmjh 11
    timmyflash 11
    Batch78 10
    MikeEye 9
    Pollys Bott 9
    Time VRS Pro-Team 08 – weekend steed
    Condor Moda - commute
    Scott something or other - manky old MTB
  • Just realised i've not done my ride for Sep for various reasons. Got a half marathon next Sunday for which i've done next to no training, so will have to try to fit in Saturday morning, before i go watch Fulham, then have a drinks free evening watching my mates band play. Argh!! I'm going to be in tatters! This might be the end :cry:

Fixeh
  • batch78
    Nah, if you manage this weekend it'll just make you stronger, what doesn't kill you and all that.

Specifically a drink free evening watching a band!!
  • October update, lost a couple this month.
    Please no really late starters, wait until 2011.
    Got out today for a nice ride in the Peak District.
    Have a plan for November and December.
    Good luck to you all.

Name Points

Airwave 70
    toontra 53
    daibhi 46
    lucky paddy 42
    bikergirl17 36
    Big Ted 35
    genki 35
    threelionsbrian 33
    gbs 27
    Fuji Mackers 25
    infamous 25
    in-gearjohn 23
    Mad One 22
    pdstsp 20
    pneumatic 15
    velocitizen 14
    leedsmjh 12
    timmyflash 12
    Batch78 11
    MikeEye 11
    Pollys Bott 10
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    cheers Velo

66 starters, 21 survivors, two splits in the Peloton (30's, 20's, teens), a lone rider out front and a few chasers. It's getting exciting!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)