Carbon 456 at long last...

ride_whenever
ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
edited July 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Here it is, after the frame debacle and the forks being off for a service, i finally built it today!

4736242108_4677aed818_b.jpg

4736249290_530597826c_b.jpg

OMG!

More pics can be found here

Spec:

Frame: On one carbon 456 18"
Forks: Pike 454 air u-turn
Wheels: 719 on Pro II
Tyres: Rampage 2.3/Razer MX PR run ghetto tubeless
Go bits: Sram X-0, xt cranks/cassette, kmc X9-SL chain, jagwire braided cables
Pedals: Point One Racing podium pedals
Brakes: Hope Mono Mini with carbon levers, braided lines, floating rotors
Contact Points: Easton monkeylite bars, thomson stem and post, fizik gobi, hope seatclamp, ODI ruffians

WEIGHT: 25lbs on the nose

Rides: Like you're on crushed velvet and eyeballs out the back of your head acceleration.

Comments

• Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Very nice sir! :D
    That's crazy light for what is is :shock:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    very nice mate how do you find the pikes with the frame as the rear end is superlight :lol:

Mine done its first big ride today and was faultless loved every minute of riding it.

How you finding the rampage tyres i am loving them atm i picked a set up and there the best tyre i have used so far.
  • Scalpel_79
    Scalpel_79 Posts: 147
    smart
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Torres wrote:

sorry but i would say heavy for what it is. Not a bad weight but.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Hmm... i must be easily impressed then...
    However, my big hardtail weighs...lots....
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    nicklouse wrote:
    Torres wrote:

sorry but i would say heavy for what it is. Not a bad weight but.

Me too, i'm rather suprised at the weight, it's nice but well you know not quite what i expected for a carbon job
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    great between ibis and now on one im becoming a carbon freak :lol: im beggining to really like these frames, gorgeous 8)
  • ride_whenever
    Oh it is going to get a lot lighter... the pikes are going for the new revelation dual position air, i'm contemplating adding one of the new RS drop posts and then full 2011 x0 2*10 cranks and all and finally some nicer wheels so i can build up the steel one as a comparison...

The pikes are really heavy, i bunnyhopped off a kerb on the way home and nearly went over the bars because the rear was so light.

I love the rampages despite them being rather porky, they're about 760g each but i do love the grip on them, especially tubeless.
  • Spugnut
    Spugnut Posts: 128
    Seriously nice lookin' build. :D
    Happy trails.
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    Oh it is going to get a lot lighter... the pikes are going for the new revelation dual position air, i'm contemplating adding one of the new RS drop posts and then full 2011 x0 2*10 cranks and all and finally some nicer wheels so i can build up the steel one as a comparison...

The pikes are really heavy, i bunnyhopped off a kerb on the way home and nearly went over the bars because the rear was so light.

I love the rampages despite them being rather porky, they're about 760g each but i do love the grip on them, especially tubeless.

when i got back into it a few years ago, i got the gt avalanche and it had these horrid RST's on, i did exactly that what you just said as the front end felt like an M1 Abrams tank haha. I like the plans on that note, wish i had the dosh to build my FS but sometime soon hopefully!
  • tony620
    Weighed mine today comes in at 24.8 pounds. thats with DT 5.1 hoope hoops, panracer rampage 2.35 tyres and a SLX double and bash crank.

could shed some weight easily enough but compared to my 32pound full sus its very lightweight so i am very happy with it :lol:
  • ride_whenever
    The pikes are where the weight is, they're just over 5 pounds, a set of revs will drop over a pound taking it down to silly light...
  • tony620
    I went for the DT Swiss XMC 130 very light and super stiff and for £400 reduced from £859 on chain reactions i thought they were a good buy.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What does the bare frame weigh?
  • tony620
    1500g i believe
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's very good given the travel it can take. I guess is the 16 though lol.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    That looks lovely mate, nice build! The Revs will drop a fair chunk of weight**, mines hovering between 23 and 24lbs at the moment, with a fair few changes to come yet.. if I can get it to 21-22lbs, I'll be a happy man!

** - lol, although the front end still feels heavy compared to the back!! I was tempted by the DT swiss too, but am moving house, so have to spend the money on things like curtains and spoons. Yay. :(
  • ride_whenever
    Whilst the dt are pretty tempting, definitely going for the revs... Then the drop post then full x0 then a new wheelset to take it silly light.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    25lbs? I'm dubious it's even that light frankly!

Still not sure about the twisty downtubes either, although I like the rest of the 'lines'.
  • ride_whenever
    well that's what the fishing scales in the shop that we weigh all the bikes with said...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Fair enough, I just question it considering those forks and wheels particularly. An off the shelf Stumpjumper hardtail weighs more!
  • ride_whenever
    the wheels are hardly porky, apart from the front tyre.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Awesome build RW.. really like the frames, wouldnt mind one myself ;)

Gorgeous! :D
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    My new 456 Carbon frame has just arrived after the dependable Charge Duster picked a fight with the wrong tree (London Calling thread in MTB Rides).

Word in the forest is they've been hit with hammers and survived but then some people on here are worrying about scratches and little dinks ruining the integrity of their carbon frames. Have you fallen off your 456? How’d it do?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop