Budget Full-Suspension Build *Almost* Finished....

Tr3m5
Tr3m5 Posts: 26
edited June 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Rode a Saracen hardtail for years, did all sorts on it from jumping to trails to the commute to work.

Started going more regularly to trail centres in 2009 and the more i went the harder i would ride to the point where i felt the lack of rear compliance was slowing me down. Didnt have enought money at the time to buy the sort of bike i wanted (Spec enduro, SC LT or similar) so built my own...

Spec:

-Giant Yukon FX1 frame (bought on ebay for £35 - bright orange chipped powdercoat!)
-Rock Shox Monarch 3.1 Shock
-Shimano A Chainset
-Shimano M424 pedals
-XT Front/Rear Mechs
-SRAM Cassette/Chain
-Mavic 321 Rims w/Hope Pro 2 15mm Fr hub & XT rear QR
-Avid BB7 Brakes 185/160
-2.4 Nobby Nics Snakeskin running Tubeless with Stans
-DT Swiss XMC 130 15mm
-Cane Creek 1 1/8 headset
-Syncro AM 70mm Stem
-FSA Gravity Bars
-FSA seatpost
-Club Roost Saddle

Had the frame acid dipped and powdercoated polar white, fitted a new set of bearings, chainset and brakes were carried over from old bike and pretty much everything else bought online in sales (mainly CRC), bike weights just over 14Kg, been riding it since feb and handles fantastically, really happy with it and only remaining upgrades are rear hub to a Pro 2 or possibly a DT swiss with their 10mm QR compatible thru-axle and a set of Formula RX hydraulic brakes.

Hope you like, so far spent £1085.

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Comments

• snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Looks well that does, nice one.

Any before pics?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    How is that a budget build :lol: The forks alone at RRP are 2x more than some 'budget' bikes :lol: Either way, very nice :wink:
  • Tr3m5
    mrfmilo wrote:
    How is that a budget build

Er it was built on a budget? :wink:

My budget was around 1000, the enduro I was looking at was twice as much, yep the forks retail at 800 but I only paid 385 otherwise it would have been a pair of 120mm recons.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Ah well a 'budget bike' (as in low end) is different to 'a bike built on a budget', seeing as all bikes are built on a budget (most of the time) :wink:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lol some parts of that drivetrain look they're older than some forum members :lol: is it 8 speed??? actually looks pretty cool tho :)
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Wow, that's pretty expensive considering the frame cost only £35.

How are you finding the BB7s, there are some great deals out there on Avid BBs, I got my wifes BB5 set for £40 with rotors and Deore levers, and my rear BB5 for £10 (just the caliper though) :D
  • Tr3m5
    Frame was 35, acid dip was 25, powdercoat 35, new bearings 40, stickers 5.

It's 21 speed, old XT rear mech and rapid-fire shifters off my Saracen. BB7s are really good, as much power as hydraulics just lack the direct feel due to the cables, awesome step up from v brake though.