Ride 24

sampurnell
sampurnell Posts: 126
edited June 2010 in Amateur race
Anybody on here doing the Action ride 24 at Dunsfold :?:

Comments

• I am. Sightly worried about it as I've done pretty much no training for it! :lol: Should be fun though!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Good luck guys - did it last year (second place - I thang yow...)

Tough, but a great atmosphere - can't do it this year as I committed to taking the girlfriend to Ascot (that and I didn't really pull my finger out to organise a team :oops: )
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Why not do it solo then, if you don't have a team?
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss wrote:
    Good luck guys - did it last year (second place - I thang yow...)

Tough, but a great atmosphere - can't do it this year as I committed to taking the girlfriend to Ascot (that and I didn't really pull my finger out to organise a team :oops: )

Thought it was self-explanatory - only females are allowed to change their minds...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • I'm doing this solo , does anyone know if any team has a 'spare' support person i could 'borrow' to nominally be my designated support ........i won't need them to do anything for me but you have to have a name on paperat least.

cheers
    Lindsay
  • TommyEss
    Dude - seriously - get someone - a proper someone - to be your support.

Sure there'll be lots of people to help on the day, but you are really seriously underestimating it if you think you can do this with no-one on site.

We, and everyone else in the 4 man teams were shagged - none of us drove ourselves home even!!
  • ok , i understand what you are saying but i don't have anyone who i know who would support me at such short notice. i have done a few of these races before , including a 27 hour Double ironman and a 24 hour ride last weekend . This is a last minute decision to do the race and i will have a tent with my stuff and sleeping bag , but just need to have a name to put down as 'support' otherwise they won't let me enter.
  • TommyEss
    Fair enough - it's not the physical side of it - it's the sensible stuff, like eating and drinking - there were a couple of guys doing it solo last year - they had a couple of people in the transition area, so whereas we would come to the pits to swap rider, they could come in and grab some food etc.

I'd be asking on here for help - there's a good reason they won't let you enter without support - it's not just lip service, they'll be worth their weight in gold.

If I wasn't previously engaged I'd be heading down to help.

Sure we can find someone?
  • sampurnell wrote:
    Anybody on here doing the Action ride 24 at Dunsfold :?:

I'm doing the solo event. Of course all the people that said they were going to help have let me down (perhaps that's a clue as to why I'm doing the solo event?), so I'm probably going to get my poor old Dad to come and help/drive me home.

I'm looking forward to it, apart from all the eating we have to do. Just hope I don't come to a grinding halt half way through.

See you all there. Good luck!

Dave
  • sampurnell
    we did it last year as well,
    unfortunately the solo guy pulled up at around 3 in the morning.
    good luck to you guys though!!!

also mask of sanity - i have done sod all training as have a baby who is just over a month old.
    its a cracking laugh and the field is over double what it was last year.
  • Respect to those doing it alone, I wouldn't want to do that. sampurnell, my team's called Wheel Never Tyre, so if you see us come and say hello :)
  • sampurnell
    we are THE GUN SHOW (ironic!)
    see you there mate....
  • funkeypunk
    funkeypunk Posts: 19
    So how did everyone do?
  • sampurnell
    randomly i ended up camped next to mask of sanity!
    we did all right - sky team bought a few ringers and thrashed the ass off it!
    it was a cracking weekend and there are now rumours that next years could be held at silverstone. :shock:
  • funkeypunk
    funkeypunk Posts: 19
    It was a great weekend. Me and the other Budgies came 13th. Don't know who we camped next to, never managed to put the tent up!
  • Al B
    Al B Posts: 4
    Yep had a great day/night as well. Sam what do you mean by "ringers"?
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked
  • sampurnell
    well the rumours said they had an ex comonwealth games cyclist!
    im not saying he definatley didnt work at sky last year but he wasnt there at the first even though sky were.....
  • Al B
    Sam

As a member of one of the Sky teams there this weekend, I’d like to quash any rumours that there was anything under hand. So definitely no ringers, ex Commonwealth Champions or alike. Yes last year there was only one team, this year there where five, this is only an indication of how popular this type of cycling is within Sky.

All of the team members this weekend are just a bunch of colleagues who happen to work for Sky, take their cycling seriously and train hard. We’ve all been training hard for the last 6 months for the Etape de Tour.

I’d also like to quash another rumour, whilst Sky is extremely pro cycling, and has helped us with training plans and logistics for the Etape, none of us receives free bikes, etc

I can honestly say that the results gained over the weekend can be put down to long hours of training by all of the Sky teams, and nothing else.

We all had a great time at a fantastic event.

The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked
  • sampurnell
    maybe ringer wasnt the right word, but there was definatley no offence meant with it!
    :wink:

i dont think it was meant to take anything away from you guys for an outstanding achievement - it was a race well won in my opinion. maybe it came from some teams who thought they could win but got blown out of the water (nb definatley not us - as our 59th place says!)

as for free bikes etc, i hadnt heard that but its not hard to see - all of you had different makes! i would of thought if there were questions about free kit you would all be riding pinarellos??

wish them the best of luck for le man mate, they deserve it, also best of luck to the rest of you for the etape.

see you at 24 next year?
  • Al B
    No offence taken Sam, just wanted to set the record straight, as we'd all heard rumours trackside.

Yep bring on the Etape, cant wait to do it now, as 250 training miles a week is taking it's toll.

Next year's Ride24...... maybe
  • sampurnell
    ive said i'll do it if the moving sites is true - sarah that organises it apparently mentioned silverstone as a possibility, dont think i will at dunsfold again.

250 training miles a week is spectacular, good effort!
  • sampurnell wrote:
    it was a cracking weekend and there are now rumours that next years could be held at silverstone. :shock:

I think Sky had a rider who was a very good rower once but as the other poster said, they all work at Sky and all train very hard around their jobs. Maybe of the other teams had trained as hard they would have given them a run for their money. There'll be groups of 20 Sky employees training in the mornings at Richmond park, they are really getting into cycling as a company, why do people want to criticise them for this?

I love the way that bike riders always always see their own failure to be linked to what someone else has done.
  • sampurnell wrote:

I think Sky had a rider who was a very good rower once but as the other poster said, they all work at Sky and all train very hard around their jobs. Maybe of the other teams had trained as hard they would have given them a run for their money. There'll be groups of 20 Sky employees training in the mornings at Richmond park, they are really getting into cycling as a company, why do people want to criticise them for this?

I love the way that bike riders always always see their own failure to be linked to what someone else has done.

Ending up next to you was indeed random. What a weekend though! Very keen to take part again!

Seems a bit unfair to call it a 'failure', surely completing it is achievement enough?! I still can't believe how fast team Sky were come Sunday morning!
  • Glad everybody enjoyed it this year , as we all did in 2009.

I recommended to Sarah that they should stick a large portable swimming pool instead of trekking over tthe other side to the showers.

Action were also considering Amsterdam/Brussels/London and recreating the Milk Race.

www.veloandblue.com
  • sampurnell
    Action were also considering Amsterdam/Brussels/London and recreating the Milk Race.
    you mean
    http://www.action.org.uk/get_involved/3_cities_challenge :?:
    like the milk race.
  • sampurnell
    you mean
    http://www.action.org.uk/get_involved/3_cities_challenge :?:
    like the milk race idea though.
  • In addition to the 3 cities