OS mapping and tracking on Windows mobile phones

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I'm currently using Viewranger on Nokia - a Symbian phone - but I'm fed up of the touchscreen so I want to change to something with a qwerty keyboard. Trouble is, viewranger doesn't work on windows mobile. I might email and see if they are putting together a new windows friendly version, but is there a similar product out for this operating system?
Cheers

Comments

• yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    Memory Map, wins hands down every time.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Isn't memory map a PC orientated piece? Can I download OS maps to the phone and use it as a GPS tracker? I can obviously use googlemaps but that is crap..
    I've never used memory maps so don't know much about it...
  • smithieg
    smithieg Posts: 7
    Isn't memory map a PC orientated piece?

Memory map works on both the PC and Windows mobile (and I believe they have just brought out an iphone version). The idea is you create your route on the PC, sync your phone and fire the data across. The only drawback is the price of the maps, especially the OS25k versions. Also, on some phones the buttons can be a little small as I believe it was originally designed for PDA's with a little more screen real estate.

As soon as you have a GPS signal it starts tracking, and records distance, speed, elevation (as long as you have the relevent file installed, elevation data is separate). After your ride you can then fire the info you've collected back to your PC to view on a nice big screen.

Hope this helps
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    edited May 2010
    much cheaper than memory map is mapyx quo - you basically only pay for the maps you need with it rather than buying massive areas like with memory map. The software itself is free, you just pay for the maps which are pretty cheap.

I think 100 square kilometers is £1 from mapyx for OS 1:50.000 scale. You install the software on your pc, then connect your phone to your pc and it installs the the app on your phone.
  • smithieg
    smithieg Posts: 7
    Does it fire over the OS map to your phone too?

Yes, or you can transfer them manually via a memory card.
  • I have an app on my HTC HD mini that I think was free off windows marketplace, it allows you to take a photo of any map, input an approximate scale and this will then work in tandem with the internal GPS.

Means you can use OS maps/road maps/maps out of MBR and the likes.

Certainly a flexible alternative.
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
    Ritchey Breakaway Steel Cross
    Specialized Singlecross Fixed 46:16
  • rudedog
    Memory map is pretty expensive - Mapyx Quo is a great alternative, the software is free and you then just pay for the maps you need, works out at about £1 for 100 square kms.
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    rudedog wrote:
    Memory map is pretty expensive - Mapyx Quo is a great alternative, the software is free and you then just pay for the maps you need, works out at about £1 for 100 square kms.
    I thought memory map software was free and and tiles can be bought in bundles for a selected area. Only looked at best map 1:25,000 because 1:50k not of interest.

Pain that Edge 705 does not accept these maps and I upgraded from a Nokia to LG KC910 a year plus ago.... oh can't think I binned my Nokia.... off to find it.
  • TowerRider
    Good news (for me) I have found my Nokia N95. Had given it to my two year old to play with a year ago. Powered it up and working so have to see how I put OS map on it. Own the OS map on Memory Map so hope I can transfer it.
    Forgot all about this possibility but should work well with my Garmin 705.
  • TowerRider
    Does Mapyx Quo work with Symbian Mobile? If not then it is pretty useless to poster.
  • rudedog
    TowerRider wrote:
    Does Mapyx Quo work with Symbian Mobile? If not then it is pretty useless to poster.

He's looking for software that runs on windows mobile
  • TowerRider
    rudedog wrote:
    TowerRider wrote:

No he isn't. He is looking for a phone with qwerty keyboard but is currently using Symbian (therefore has Viewranger maps) Nokia phone.
  • rudedog
    TowerRider wrote:
    rudedog wrote:
    TowerRider wrote:

No he isn't. He is looking for a phone with qwerty keyboard but is currently using Symbian (therefore has Viewranger maps) Nokia phone.

check the thread title and...
    I'm currently using Viewranger on Nokia - a Symbian phone - but I'm fed up of the touchscreen so I want to change to something with a qwerty keyboard. Trouble is, viewranger doesn't work on windows mobile. I might email and see if they are putting together a new windows friendly version, but is there a similar product out for this operating system?
    Cheers
  • TowerRider
    rudedog wrote:
    TowerRider wrote:
    rudedog wrote:
    TowerRider wrote:

check the thread title and...
    Cheers

Ah right, well how lazy - they come up in every search. View Ranger is different re symbian. Just got my phone N95 working with Viewranger so past caring :)