Specialized Enduro Expert 2008 Fork fiddling

stomith
stomith Posts: 332
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
"Fox 2006 Talas 36 R" on an Enduro 2008 Expert with E150 currently.

I'd like to try the Fox on the Enduro but this means getting both a new wheel (Hope Pro 2 SP + EX500 rim) and a new headset thing. I think!?

I guess the question is: What is involved with removing the existing huge Specialized headset/stem and replacing it...and ultimately ...has anyone done it with same/similar kit?

Comments

• Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    Hi

Just replaced the E150's on my Enduro with a set of VAN R's, Hope Pro 2's and EX500 rims, also replaced the Cane Creek headset with a Hope headset as the Lanusse fitted from the factory was really prone to rusting the bearings.
    Was a peice of cake to carry out the conversion, the biggest ball ache was finding a stem which replicated the riding position of the original E150 stem, ended up fitting an Easton Vice oversized 65mm stem which replicated the original cockpit feel nicely.
    You will also need a new front caliper mount as the one fitted currently is specific to the E150 forks and will not work with the Fox's.
    To remove the E150's just remove the top cap completely, remove the handlebars and let them swing out of the way, loosen the 3 pinch bolts on the top crown, slide the top crown up the stanchions and off and the just drop the forks out of the head tube.....job done!!
    If I've missed anything then just let me know.......absolutuly transformed the way the bike performs, the E150's were a pain in the ass to set up as well.
    Nige
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    I'm with you there: Hope Pro 2's with EX500's are on their way. Thankyou Fleabay. Evans let me down :(
    I went for the 85mm Vice.

Comparing Vans to the E150......Did the geometry of your bike change at all?

and how did you go about choosing a headset to replace the Cane Creek VPA58 ACL? All I know is that I need one that matches the Poo-Brown paintwork :)
  • Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    Hi

There was a slight change in geometry, the best way I can describe the change in feel is to change the position of the lower shock mount while you still have the 150's on and see how it rides, all I've noticed is a slightly slower response in the steering but I soon got used to it.

As for the headset....well I kind of chose it because it matched the hubs and thats about a technical as it got really.....fits like a glove though ! :D
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition