Billinge Woods Blackburn

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited December 2010 in MTB rides
http://www.blackburn.gov.uk/upload/pdf/ ... eaflet.pdf
It's Bike week! Saturday 26th June, we've got the official opening of Blackburn's Billinge Hill Trails 10.30 at the trail-head. pro riders to put on a demo around 11am and 11.30 everyone can have a go!...again..and again
Caz xx

Comments

• FSRian
    FSRian Posts: 28
    had a ride up there last nite, after a bit of head scratching how to get there from the car park by the athletics track found it and loved it.

only down side at the moment is the surface is very loose but once fully bedded in will be a right blast. like the use of the north shore through the trees and the rocks on the downhill run.

hope they extend them as there is plenty of potential in those wood.

all in all a good area considering the lack of publicity!
  • I was up there too last night.

It's a good place to go for an hour or so for a mess about. Just needs the loose top surface brushing off.
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'm going up tomorrow for the official opening........Lets hope for more play grounds, these two trails are great for a local play area....kinda makes you feel proud how Lancashire are getting behind cycling at gthe moment :D
    Caz xx
  • FSRian
    FSRian Posts: 28
    I was up there too last night.

It's a good place to go for an hour or so for a mess about. Just needs the loose top surface brushing off.

were you one of the guys with the old skool proflex we were chatting to at the trail head?
  • yep i was the one who was getting on the old girl when you saw us. It is my mate's bike, mine is in my signature.
  • CSbike
    CSbike Posts: 1
    Check out video of Billinge Hill trail designer Phil Saxena talking about the new trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzangrBXMlI
  • sparrowlegs78
    OMG OMG OMG!!!!! love it, so chuffed about those trails :D
    Caz xx
  • trek*fuel
    trek*fuel Posts: 12
    Anyone fancy showing me the new delights of Billinge trail sometime? Am local to Clitheroe so can meet almost anytime after work or weekend? PM me please.
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Anyone got some good directions to get here? Will be getting on train and getting off in Blackburn.

I know where witton park is.
  • sparrowlegs78
    get off at Pleasington station if you can...
    If not, go up Buncer lane with Witton park school on it and go right to the top, by going straight up, not following the road round the bend to the right, then turn left on Pleasington Lane...follow that road, you'll go past one entrance to Billinge woods on your left(it's a big gateway in the wall) that'll take you to the bottom of one trail, go up the long fire road climb, and you'll see the trail head off on your left at the very top of the hill.

If you can get off he train at Pleasington, gopast the Railway pub towards the Priory and climb up the road, it's a bit of a pull, you'll pass the Clog and Billycock pub on your right, look for a small lane off on your right about 200 yards or so past the pub, which is gated and has a height restricter bar on it, go up that lane, follow the trackway to a posted junction on your right, follow that, turn left at the junction there and follw it and you'll see the trail head off on your right.

I'm pants at directions, so I hope I've helped a bit,:D
    Caz xx
  • sparrowlegs78
    Just thoughof another way to get to the wood from blackburn station which has less climbing.
    You need to get on to Preston New Road from the centre, keep on there until you come to a big cross roads after a mini roundabout, at the cross roads, turn left up Pleasington Lane, keep on Pleasington Lane , looking for the big gateway to the woods on your left, then the fire road climb up to the trailhead.
    Caz xx
  • bwfc4eva868
    Went u today on the bike (engined vareity) went along the lane and their is two of th enterance gates, one at the beginning of Billnge End Lane and a gate enterance further up, which says no access to car park on the gate.

Do i go in the first gate?
  • sparrowlegs78
    If you go in the first gate at Billinge End, you climb uphill to the trail head with the trail on your left through the woods, If you go in through the top gate near the clog and Billy cock pub, you follow the trail that goes left to a junction with a post on it on your right, a slight climb to another junction, go left on there (you'll see one of the trails in front of you) and follow it to the trailhead, it is posted up at the head so you'll not miss it.
    Caz xx
  • could you please tell me how long it is and how hard/fun it is. I live about 30 miles away is it worth me traveling as gisburn is my local trail how does it compare?
    cheers
    dean
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • sparrowlegs78
    It's no where near as long as Gisburn, both trails are only very short, but good for practising on....to do both trails it would take about 30 mins in all.......but it's a quality build for the size of them :D
    Caz xx
  • bwfc4eva868
    Off here tommorow on my todd if anyone fancies joining me?
  • sparrowlegs78
    just a bit of a heads up, some signs have been nicked and there have beenhorsrs being ridden on it...so if you see a horse on the built trails...nail it at them.
    I own horses and have ridden for 27 years, but when it comes to wilful destcruction of trails that have taken years to come about, it's fair game that they should be ridden at for trespassing !
    Caz xx

(might be up there tomorrow too, if thi cold gets worse I'll only feel like a local ride)
  • need to have a go on this... only 40 mins from me... looks more like a blue from the videos though, how long is it?
  • sparrowlegs78
    Blue!!!!! no way....it's a red through and through on the Tricky 60...the Trail of 2 Trees is more blue.but had a black/red option
    Caz xx
  • sparrowlegs78
    both are 600m long sadly...but they are built as to form a figure of 8 to session all day if you want.
    Caz xx
  • sparrowlegs78
    best vid on the net of the trails, it's a bit corporate though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzangrBXMlI
    Caz xx
  • 600m! :shock:
  • sparrowlegs78
    I know lol...but believe me, they are fun for their length........well thats what a lot of blokes have told me about their thingies so it must be true lol
    Caz xx
  • bwfc4eva868
    best be no horses on it, they should know better.
  • I'll have a look over one evening I think :)
    Washed up Has Been
  • Are there any plans to put signage on these routes? I am from Blackburn and spent the first hour riding on the bridleways in the wood thinking that was the trail till I spotted it.

Noticed a small interpretation board at Billinge End Road, but could be handy for one to go at the top of Crow Wood and in Witton Park itself.

Enjoyed the trail and will be back now I know where I am going. Approaching the trail afterf Crow Wood from the park is a unrellenting hill!
  • sparrowlegs78
    Are there any plans to put signage on these routes? I am from Blackburn and spent the first hour riding on the bridleways in the wood thinking that was the trail till I spotted it.

Noticed a small interpretation board at Billinge End Road, but could be handy for one to go at the top of Crow Wood and in Witton Park itself.

Enjoyed the trail and will be back now I know where I am going. Approaching the trail afterf Crow Wood from the park is a unrellenting hill!

Urm it was signposted, but some chavvy git nicked them all :( :evil: ....dunno what the next stage is going to be with regards to the signs, I'll keep you posted though..the signs will return.
    Caz xx
  • Does anyone know if there are plans to expand this area with further tracks, or are the 2 tracks it? Went a month or so ago, was kinda fun for a blast, but needs to be done in conjunction with other rides such as Jubilee Tower. Bit too short for being there a while.

Steve.
  • sparrowlegs78
    Does anyone know if there are plans to expand this area with further tracks, or are the 2 tracks it? Went a month or so ago, was kinda fun for a blast, but needs to be done in conjunction with other rides such as Jubilee Tower. Bit too short for being there a while.

Steve.

I have no idea, it was done as part of a cycle commuting project ! it's meant to get kids and adults interested in cycling to hopefully get them to cycle more and get fit and stuff :roll: .
    I'll ask my inside contacts to find out more.
    There's plenty of scope for more there.
    Caz xx
  • For a small facility, it's great fun. Until very recently I lived only a mile and a bit away from the new trails, and as an 'after tea' ride it was great to warm up on the road, do 2 or three circuits of the woods and then ride home. We're the far side of town now, and a bit far for the same 'after tea' type ride. Need to find some off-roading in the Wilpshire area... anybody?