Would downhilling kill my bike?

dan shard
dan shard Posts: 722
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Got a Cube AMS 100, with 100mm travel, and its perfect for trail centres. But a mate was talking about going to Morzine, would that kill my bike / me? Doesnt really look man enough when compared to some of the downhill bikes that I see

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    riding down a trail that goes Downhill will be fine.

going at DH speed would have you off the bike.

be prepared to get off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    One of the biggest issue I see is the fork angle. Downhillers seem to have a really angled rake whereas mine is almost vertical so it wont have anything like as much over-handlebar stability
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Surely you'd be better off (and have more fun) renting a bike when you get out there.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    If you take it easy and have enough skill to counteract the head angle you're getting from the shorter forks then you'll be fine. If you try to follow others, chances are you'll hve a nasty accident.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Surely you'd be better off (and have more fun) renting a bike when you get out there.

This could be the best option and this thread could be your answer if you have not already seen it!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12710301

Having to pick your lines so well, whilst trying to follow a mate who is blasting through stuff on a more suitable AM/DH style rig, although not fun, will get tiring soon I'm sure :)
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    Some of the runs at Morzine will be a bit tricky on a 100mm bike (Le Pleney, Mont Chery), and while you CAN do it, I certainly wouldn't be doing it myself.
    I was there last year on a 140mm trail bike and after three days my forks were blowing oil through their seals.
    Good luck, and make sure you're insured!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I spent a summer in PdS and have been on holiday there since with just a hardtail - its doable and a lot of the routes are highly suitable for shorter travel XC bikes. If you want to spend your week lapping the DH courses I'd rent something else though and even then be aware that the rental bikes aren't full on DH rigs.

I also had a Patriot for DH days with single crowns and that was fine for the speed and jumps I was prepared to tackle.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • If you go to morzine I suggest you rent a bike when you get there and it means you don't have to worry about getting your bike out there or breaking it
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Mate of mine managed to survive an alpine trip, although I can't remember exactly where, on a 100mm focus race-ish hardtail. I remember him spending aaaages beforehand trying to find the fattest tyres that would fit through the frame...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.