BC Point system

124»

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    No it's not a great quote, it's just a fact, if he went and sat on the front the whole race I can gaurantee 100% he'd get dropped when everyone flys past him.

Seems I'm the only one speaking sense, I'm no expert at racing, far from it, obviously, but I know sitting on the front for the whole race is silly for anyone to do.

What people seem to be blind to see is "whole race", all they see is "sitting on the front is silly"
    ju5t1n wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    ...come down to the Tameside crit and sit on the front and watch yourself get dropped.
    These are great quotes, keep it up. ROFL

.......Nothing to say............
  • You guys crack me up. All of you
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    I want to race with you guys. it'd be a barrell of laughs. I've only done two races at Hillingdon and obviuosly still a 4th, I'd be the one at the back.

Anyone have a decent sprint on them and how can I better mine?? Other than getting a tow before the line.
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    The best riders may not sit on the front the whole race but they'll be in the front few the whole race. You use far less energy in a crit riding near and sometimes on the front than you do constantly sprinting out of bends to overcome the concertina effect. Getting there and being one of those at the front is the hard part because you have to force the best riders out of that position.
  • freehub
    Not debating about near the front, just some people seem to think sitting on the front, for the whole race is good and that you'd still have enough power for a sprint. Sitting on the front all the time is bad tactics, I know minimal about tactics but I sure know that is a bad one!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    I don't think anyone actually recommended sitting on the front all race they were just trying to make a point that just being in the top 10 doesn't necessarily mean you will finish there. That said, from the 3rd party account of your race when you crashed it sound like you were in a pretty ideal position around the front 5 so it was bad luck. You certainly seem to be improving week to week so what more can you ask for? Got my first race in nearly 15 years in two weeks, only a Go Race but never been any good at crits and not very fit yet so will probably struggle to follow my own advice :lol:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    freehub wrote:
    Not debating about near the front, just some people seem to think sitting on the front, for the whole race is good and that you'd still have enough power for a sprint. Sitting on the front all the time is bad tactics, I know minimal about tactics but I sure know that is a bad one!

Will - I remember years ago, being in a 3/J road race where one rider ( a junior I think) launched a solo attack off the front of the bunch quite early on. He stayed away right until the finish, although we did manage to get organised and close in on him to the point where he eventually crossed the finish line only about 50 yards ahead of us - but he still won.

This wasn't a circuit race either - it was a proper 45/50 mile road race, with hills and everything. Like I said before - riding on the front (or off it, in this case) is only bad tactics if you haven't got the legs for it.
  • freehub
    softlad wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Will - I remember years ago, being in a 3/J road race where one rider ( a junior I think) launched a solo attack off the front of the bunch quite early on. He stayed away right until the finish, although we did manage to get organised and close in on him to the point where he eventually crossed the finish line only about 50 yards ahead of us - but he still won.

This wasn't a circuit race either - it was a proper 45/50 mile road race, with hills and everything. Like I said before - riding on the front (or off it, in this case) is only bad tactics if you haven't got the legs for it.

The guy who was off the front all the time, do you know where he is now? What sort of progress he has made?
    Pross wrote:
    I don't think anyone actually recommended sitting on the front all race they were just trying to make a point that just being in the top 10 doesn't necessarily mean you will finish there. That said, from the 3rd party account of your race when you crashed it sound like you were in a pretty ideal position around the front 5 so it was bad luck. You certainly seem to be improving week to week so what more can you ask for? Got my first race in nearly 15 years in two weeks, only a Go Race but never been any good at crits and not very fit yet so will probably struggle to follow my own advice :lol:

I'm trying to improve week on week, tonight my aim is to go under 25mins for a 10 mile TT on my road bike with nothing aero, people reckon I'll do it but I have to say I'm not as convinced as they are.
  • softlad
    freehub wrote:
    The guy who was off the front all the time, do you know where he is now? What sort of progress he has made?

he's done quite well actually - currently team leader at Garmin.. ;)
  • freehub
    softlad wrote:
    freehub wrote:

he's done quite well actually - currently team leader at Garmin.. ;)

Well there you go, I said people who can stay off the front like that and win would probs make it big.
  • softlad
    freehub wrote:

Well there you go, I said people who can stay off the front like that and win would probs make it big.

no you didn't - you said that riding on the front was (quote) 'stupid'.

I said that it was not 'stupid' if you had the legs for it. There have been plenty of other examples over the years of similar riding - and not all of them ended up as european pros....
  • freehub
    In my posts I said that if you could manage it, then you'd be getting to cat 1 easily, and going to high places in cycling.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    To be fair, he did say that :D
  • Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    Pedantic pr*cks!

The OP was about the BC points system.