lapierre owners check your swing arms

richg1979
richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Get checking your rear swing arms

Another 714 rear swinga arm snapped clean through and bearing seat pulled through over cannock chase tonight.
Best thing is the owner didnt even know, it was only when my mate who broke his showed him where his broke found his was broke in the same place.

13 stone rider was absolutly gutted.

Comments

• popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    That 13stone rider doing something wrong on a bike :D . Thought he changed it long time ago to suit him and his style of riding. So many snaps on different kind of bikes, most probably he needs a DH or FR tank*. Get him Orange Alpine or something?! Think 224 would suit him best.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • richg1979
    Yup must be doing somthing wrong, landing badly of 6" drops or somthing.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Another reason not to like lapierre, pretty bikes made badly
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    That axe must be sharp enough by now you have been grinding it for months :roll:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I'm pretty neutral but I have read about Lapierre bikes breaking more often than others.
  • Nalla
    Nalla Posts: 87
    I've read a fair bit on this forum about lapierre bikes breaking too, but it always seems to be the same guy breaking them! :wink:

Im nearly 17 stone with gear and ride Cannock a fair bit and not very smoothly but mines fine.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I wouldn't buy something French anyway so will never have to risk it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nalla wrote:
    I've read a fair bit on this forum about lapierre bikes breaking too, but it always seems to be the same guy breaking them! :wink:

Or at least the same guy telling us about it :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ooh, here's the Lappierre Squad Defence.
    Maybe you should all ride around with LSD written on your T-shirts. And a camelbak full of gags to shut up the people who have had issues.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    That axe must be sharp enough by now you have been grinding it for months :roll:

Maybe it's the axe that's breaking Lapierre frames?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    :roll: i thought you snapped your yeti frame anyway??? wheres the yeti hatethread???? oh wait there isnt one. i sense a Grantway style hatred of lapierre and all things french :roll:
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    richg1979 wrote:
    Get checking your rear swing arms

Another 714 rear swinga arm snapped clean through and bearing seat pulled through over cannock chase tonight.
    Best thing is the owner didnt even know, it was only when my mate who broke his showed him where his broke found his was broke in the same place.

13 stone rider was absolutly gutted.

This is pissboring now. Maybe I should post every day that mine doesn't snap to counterbalance the negativity.
  • richg1979
    Yep i did brake my yeti, and im not scared to tell people and if it did brake 3 times in the 1st month of ownership i would give it the slagging it desrved.

I bet theres a lot of lapierre owners on here who have had breaks who wont post up on the forum through pride.

I know im going on a bit but i do like the look and the ride of lapierres but when people keep telling you there is no fault when there obviously is, i mean this bloke didnt even know it was broke and the back chainstay had snapped clean through and didnt even line up, theres obviously some sort of structural strengthener in there as the back wheel would have been flapping if it was just the carbon peice.

if you have not checked you rear swing arm recently just go and have a good look esp around the chainstays and there the bearings pressinto the arm next to the pivot/seat tube, i think a few people will be suprised.

I wouldnt be too botherd really as i didnt buy one but i basicly picked the zesty out for my mate as they do get rave reviews ect, he did like the look and feel of the bike. so now i feel a bit guilty as i basicly made him spend £2700 on a lemon and he does remind me quite regular.

this will be my last lapierre broken post
  • Mccraque
    I own a 514. Yet to see one snap and I've bashed the hell out of it for a year. Still going strong and love it to bits.

If it did snap I would be posting that it had. Why would anyone be embarrassed to post? Annoyed maybe.
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Sounds like his Zesty rides so well that its still brilliant even with a snapped swing arm :lol:

I look forward to riding my 16 month old one tonight which has no issues, nor my friends carbon rear one of similar vintage. Yes quite a few have had problems but this happens to every manufacturer. At least the fail rate isnt 99+% like in 09 with one company based not to far away from them :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I broke a patriot.

I know of lots of others who broke patriots.

I know of more that haven't
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • breezer
    Yer I know someone who cracked an Alpine but it was replaced very quickly and didnt bring him any harm so no biggy
  • richg1979
    Rant over.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I went on a plane last week and it didnt crash so that means that planes never crash.:roll:

Bike frames break they always have done, the majority dont but a decent percentage do. richg1979 for reasons he has mentioned is more aware of broken Lapierres just as I am more aware than most about broken commencals I am on my 4th frame.

If you own a Lapierre and it hasnt broken yet whooHoo for you but there are a lot of cracked Lapierres out there just as there are a growing pile of broken Treks.

My 2p worth you can only make a frame so light and it has been noticeable that a fair few bikes this year are heavier than last years. I know they all have to pass new CEN tests but it is too much of a coincedence in my opinion.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • breezer
    I have a friend with a carbon Trek, stone hit the downtube, Trek deemed it unsuitable to use anymore, 6 week delay for a new frame then got told another 5 weeks wait due to the lack of stickers....hilarious
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    stubs wrote:
    If you own a Lapierre and it hasnt broken yet whooHoo for you but there are a lot of cracked Lapierres out there just as there are a growing pile of broken Treks.

And Yetis, Oranges, specialized's, giants, dmr's etc etc etc...

On the orange service....couldn't agree more....I aquired a 222 in the meantime, so they offered me a stunning deal on a 2010 crush.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cee wrote:
    stubs wrote:

And Yetis, Oranges, specialized's, giants, dmr's etc etc etc...

Very true only said Trek because my cousin has had a nightmare with his Trek. The swinging arm went pop when he was halfway down a fast trail. He says berms are a bit interesting when your bike has a hinge in the middle.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kopite1979
    kopite1979 Posts: 443
    was it the carbon frame?
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • Mccraque
    this thread make me natually go over the bike with a finetooth comb after every ride. Have ridden for years, quite hard, with no problem. Now I am reduced to scouring the fckr before I stick it in the garage each night.

The thing being, I have never encountered anyone with a broken one. Should I just be out enjoying it? Or should I be waiting for the inevitable?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is always good to check the frame periodically. ANy frame.
  • snips50
    snips50 Posts: 58
    I've got a 316 spicy and I've never had a prob with her. Mind you I do check her over after every ride whilst cleaning it.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I've just checked my swingarm and noticed quite a large bruise near my elbow.....damn, my frame is such bad quality! :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Craig Rogers