Rigid fork length query.

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
OK, I have a pair of suspension forks fitted to my bike that when extended measure 445mm crown to axle. When I'm sitting on the bike they measure about 425mm as there is a 20mm compression.

Now I've ordered a set of rigid carbon forks that are 425mm long (the nominal length of the suspension forks when I'm seated on the bike).

Something in the back of my head telling me I should have ordered 445mm long riged forks though, tell me this isn't so & that 425mm is the right length. PLEASE.
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    400-425 sounds about right. Many run a little shorter than the sag measurement anyway.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing wrong with 425.

sounds like you had an old short travel fork any way so 425 would be best.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mark Elvin
    nicklouse wrote:
    nothing wrong with 425.

sounds like you had an old short travel fork any way so 425 would be best.

Pace RC36 Stealths running with the packers to give only 80mm travel.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Sounds about right, should handle about the same as when you're on the bike.
    When i changed to rigid forks on my play bike, they were about 20mm shorter than my dirt jams, maybe more. It's steepened up the head angle a fair bit, but i kind of like it, though it can be a little hairy when i'm bombing down a main road and i hit a big stone!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Mark Elvin
    That's good news then, I was beginnig to doubt myself.

Thanks all.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse