edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
can i pressure wash my rockhopper pro

Comments

• Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    no
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well, some bits of it. DOn't fire directly at bearings or forks.
  • Hyufsko
    Hyufsko Posts: 37
    A sponge is always the way forward

Specialized FSRxc Comp '10
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pressure washers are the SPAWN OF SATAN and you will go to HELL if you point one at your bike

Bike washing kit contents = 1 x bucket, 1 x sponge, 1x old toothbrush, 1 x tap full of warm water, 1 x small squirt of washing up liquid (or Fenwicks, Muc Off etc), 1 x tub of elbow grease.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    You can, It won't attack you with rusty pedal axles... but its not a great idea, as it may attack you with stuffed bearings and a fork full of brown water.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • milt
    milt Posts: 115
    thanks everyone i get the drift
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Stubs: You missed some vital bits.

Radio,
    Cups of Tea.
    Biscuits...various and often.

Oh, and the Mrs prancing about in her bikini helps too...
    Lengthens the hosepipe, apparently.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get yourself some Muck-Off matey, you can get it in Halfords and it works wonders.

Wet bike, spray liberally, leave for a min or two, rinse and sponge down. Use a toothbrush where needed and don't forget to lube up the bits that need it afterwards.
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Am I the only one who uses car shampoo then? Does the job lovely and leaves a nice shine too if you use turtlewax :D
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    I use Fenwicks at the moment but cash is a bit tight so once I run out of Fenwicks will be moving to Car shampoo (£2 for 1 litre from Morrisons) and white spirit for the chain/cassette.

I suspect a lot of us are overly fussy when it comes to what we use to wash our bikes with.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i use G101 all purpose cleaner around the muddy bits and i remove and clean any jammed up bits like cassette etc.
    jet wash when it works to blast mud away bit not focussed on any bearings
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Have used muck off in the past, however found slight discolouration on the frame...now use fenwicks...what bloody a bloody marvel !! used neat for degreasing and diluted for removing muck and grime...I have tried it...it's the future !!
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    underdog wrote:
    Am I the only one who uses car shampoo then? Does the job lovely and leaves a nice shine too if you use turtlewax :D

Doesnt car shampoo have wax in it Silicone wax on your brake discs is not a good idea unless your trying to stop those annoying squeaks from your brakes :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Muddy1182
    Muddy1182 Posts: 146
    dukes_video_04.jpg
    Lengthens the hosepipe, apparently

Glad my bikes the General Lee! :P
  • Alienman
    Alienman Posts: 91
    Splottboy wrote:
    Lengthens the hosepipe, apparently.

Seems a little distracting, doesn't it? Do you plan on spending your whole day cleaning the bike?
    '09 Rocky Mountain Fusion