Quick Release Lever, which side??

itrubes
itrubes Posts: 14
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Im wondering if anybody has a PROPER answer for what side a quick release lever should go?

As far as i can figure, all the skewer does is bring the lever and the nut on the other side, closer together, as you close the lever. The groves on both the lever and nut side look exactly the same. So to me this says there is no right or wrong way as to which side it goes on.

The rear makes sense to put it on the left (disc/non-drive) side, to avoid interfering with the deraillier and gears. I've been riding with the front one on the right side (drive side) to eliminate the chance of me knocking the disc or accidentally grabbing it when closing the lever.

Within the manufacturers, in terms of thru-axels, some do right and some do left, this also says to me it doesn't really matter.

I wonder if the tension on the hub/wheel/forks when a disc brake is applied makes any difference??

I'd like to know if anybody has a proper answer with a reason why, instead of the usual response which is "on the left, cuz thats the way I do it",

Thanks,
iTrubes :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to put mine on the non-disc side, because trying to open a QR when you have a hot brake discs can be painful if you catch your hand on it.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Left on the back - not near gears, much better.

right on front, not next to disc. But I cant due to fork control and qr setup. so it has to be left too - but extra weight accounts for the drive side :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    really it depends on what the Qrs are.

traditionally the lever on the left.

but with a shimano Qr and a RS fork the lever can be used to make sure the red rebound adjuster can no fall out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i have mine on the left, as i believe (though this might be complete hocum) that this will make it tighten rather than loosen (as in, if its being affected by the rotation of the wheel, then it will tighten on this side, or loosen on the other). thats the halfords policy too, and stores that know/care will assemble bikes with the skewer on the left side.
  • Front on the left with the closed lever pointing (neatly) up the fork leg.

Rear on the left with the closed lever parallel with the underside of the swinging arm.

I am a bit OCD.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    both on the driveside to avoid the discs.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I put mine on the driveside to avoid my rotors, so i don't contaminate them or burn myself ( have burnt myself on my rotor before after a good descent) but i guess it doesn't really make a difference.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Non-drive on the rear, whatever I feel like at the time on the front :P
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Front on the left with the closed lever pointing (neatly) up the fork leg.

Rear on the left with the closed lever parallel with the underside of the swinging arm.

I am a bit OCD.

Wouldn't put the lever up the fork leg - try getting your fingers under it to open it when it's the middle of winter and it's your fingers are freezing cold. Just a thought.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Both on the left.

I tried the front one on the right-hand side but it doesn't sit properly against the forks.
  • Anonymous
    of couuse, now it's irrelevant, with thru-axles at both ends :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Maxel on the front means its drive side.... but i prefer it there anyway.
    Left on the back, poing slightly up and back, tucked into the frame. so its out of the way and safe.

iused to have it on the drive side to help ward of rear mech hammering rocks.... but its too much of a fiddle to open when its right next to the mech
    I like bikes and stuff
  • i used to have them on the non drive side and away from the discs after hearing about a guy chopping the end of his finger off in the rotor! which was great as it meant the wording on the hopes was the right way up! :wink: but now have them on the left as is supposed to be the proper side, (according to all the bikes int he lbs!) and the mechanic!
    doubt it makes any difference at all though!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Not really important but point it backwards rather than forwards to minimise the risk of stray vegetation/rocks accidentally opening it. In these days of lawyer tabs however, what's the worst that could happen?

Out of interest has anyone ever had a QR level pull open in the manner I describe?
  • Anonymous
    ^^nope, never actually had one open, although I do always point it backwards just in case.

However, I have ridden a maxle fork, that just would not stay tight.
  • KevUK
    KevUK Posts: 111
    Got my rear on Disc side due to free space to tighten it, my sram rear mech gets in the way otherwise, on the front its on the right side, again to aid and make it easier to tighten, Zero issues with either.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Right hand side on the front one is a maxle the other is to protect the rebound knob. On the back left hand side away from the gears and the other is a bolt up.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: