Rear Derailleur/Mech Hanger problems

toby_winkler
toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Today I noticed something was bashing into my frame/cassette area when I rode over bumps. So stopped to take a look and realised the rear derailleur wasn't in the position it should have been in. So after some inspection I found this to be the problem:

DSCF5071.jpg

I believe this is one of the limit screws, I'm not quite sure how this has happened as it was fine yesterday when I rode the bike. I am going to take it to the lbs tomorrow, will it just need the screw replacing, or the whole derailleur? Or could there be damaged to the mech hanger?

Tried to get the screw out myself, but my stupid multi-tool managed to bugger up the screw head.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is the B adjust screw.

get a new screw.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toby_winkler
    Cheers nicklouse, Will drop in to the lbs tomorrow and see what they got.

I am intrigued as to how this actually happened, I haven't done anything at all on my bike that should cause something to break like this :?
  • could of just caught the top of the derailer on something, which would have lifted it round and caused that.
  • toby_winkler
    could of just caught the top of the derailer on something, which would have lifted it round and caused that.

Hmmm maybe, I would have thought I would have noticed if that happened though, whatever it was that smacked into it would have had to have been pretty close to my leg as well!